Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maximum performance with large datasets on Azure

Hi all,

I am trying to achieve the best performance with large datasets in reports. For example: I have reports that use some visuals with aggregated data, but my users also want to get the details. These details are coming from datasets containing 100M+ rows.

Importing this into PowerBI is ofcourse not an option, so I came up with the following ideas:

1. Use Azure Analysis Services
    Putting the datasets in tabular models will consume a lot of memory however, this requires spending a lot on a higher ranged tier (S2 or above, €2,500 per month or higher)

2. Or use Azure SQL Data Warehouse with DirectQuery
    Did some testing with the basic tier DW100c (€900 per month) and I achieved a performance of 10 seconds searching a 100M rows table. The report only contained a search box and a table. The dataset in SQLDWH was hash distributed and had a columnstore index.
    What I noticed however is that the query PowerBI creates is far more complex than a simple 'SELECT xx,xx FROM WHERE xx = xx' (this executes in 1 second by the way on the server itself). Power BI for example creates some joining, grouping, ordering etc, which are not really necessary for my use-case. Is there a way to optimize this?
  3. Or use a Databricks cluster with Spark and DirectQuery
    Also an option but more complex and a continuous running cluster will also cost at least €730 per month.

I am wondering what the best option is, does anyone have any experience with these options already? Other Azure options are also welcome!

I tend to use SQL DWH though, but can I further optimize this without scaling up?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous did you explored composite model?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.