Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

usernj123

Max from related table

Hello All,

I have 2 tables as shown below.

Months table: (MonthName is text)

usernj123_0-1708285927640.png

TechSpend:

MonthName      Text

Category   Text

Year          Text

Actuals     Currency

TechSpend table has data for all 12 months of 2023 and 1st month of 2024.

Both tables are related using MonthName column. (Months table is on 1 side of Many:1). 

On one of my report, I have a slicer on "Year" and trying to use a Measure to show "Highest MonthName - Total Actuals" in a card.

Total Actuals =
VAR ActualExceptOther = ROUND(CALCULATE(sum(TechSpend[Actuals]), TechSpend[Category] <> "Other")/1000,2)
VAR MaxMonth = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(TechSpend[Month],1), FILTER(Months, Months[MonthNumber] = max(Months[MonthNumber])))

RETURN MaxMonth & " - " & ActualExceptOther & "K".

When I run the report with 2024 selected, I get MaxMonth = blank as shown below. Could you please review my code for measure and suggest the changes?
THANKS.
usernj123_1-1708287019333.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

I agree with the above comment about creating a proper date table! However, below is a solution anyway. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

VAR FilteredVirtualTable =TOPN(1,FILTER(SUMMARIZE(Months,Months[MonthsName],Months[MonthNum]),Months[MonthsName] IN VALUES(TechSpend[MonthsName])),Months[MonthNum])

VAR MonthNameVirtalTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(FilteredVirtualTable,"Month Name",Months[MonthsName])

RETURN MonthNameVirtalTable 

You needed to add one more step by creating a virtual table that is all matching rows between your months table and tech spend table, and then take the top row of that table after it is sorted by month number. The last step is using the selected columns function to grab the name of the month from that table. 

Please mark as a solution if this worked for you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
usernj123

Thank you all for quick responses!

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @usernj123 ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) We can create a measure. 

Total Actuals = 
VAR ActualExceptOther = ROUND(CALCULATE(sum(TechSpend[Actuals]), TechSpend[Category] <> "Other")/1000,2)
VAR _table= ADDCOLUMNS(ALL('TechSpend'),"monthnum",MONTH(CONVERT([MonthName]&" "&1,DATETIME)))
var MaxNum=MAXX(FILTER(_table,[Year] =SELECTEDVALUE('TechSpend'[Year])),[monthnum])
var  MaxMonth=CALCULATE(MAX('Months'[MonthName]),FILTER(ALL('Months'),'Months'[MonthNumber]=MaxNum))
RETURN MaxMonth & " - " & ActualExceptOther & "K"

(3) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_0-1708394774810.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1708394783766.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

I agree with the above comment about creating a proper date table! However, below is a solution anyway. 

VAR FilteredVirtualTable =TOPN(1,FILTER(SUMMARIZE(Months,Months[MonthsName],Months[MonthNum]),Months[MonthsName] IN VALUES(TechSpend[MonthsName])),Months[MonthNum])

VAR MonthNameVirtalTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(FilteredVirtualTable,"Month Name",Months[MonthsName])

RETURN MonthNameVirtalTable 

You needed to add one more step by creating a virtual table that is all matching rows between your months table and tech spend table, and then take the top row of that table after it is sorted by month number. The last step is using the selected columns function to grab the name of the month from that table. 

Please mark as a solution if this worked for you!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

PLease consider using a proper Dates table instead.  It will make your other calculations so much easier.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.