cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Namkce Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Matrix Visual: Format Row Header when Values are as Rows issue

I've noticed a quirk in how Power BI Matrix Visual (doesn't) display Row Headers styling when using Values as Rows:

Repro steps:

1. Create Matrix Visual with columns and values only (no rows)
  2. Under Formating, select Field Formatting and turn on "Apply to header" and make some font/background color changes.

matrix fields.JPGMatrix visual: Columns and Values

matrix format field apply to header.JPGMatrix Formatting: Apply field formatting to header

Observe results:  You will see your formating of that field applied to the column headers, which is as expected.

matrix-example-fail.jpgMy matrix report when Values are as Column, Headers are formatted.

1. Under Formating, select the Values dropdown and turn on "Show on rows"

matrix format values as rows.JPGMatrix Formatting: Values as Rows

Observe results:  You will see your formatting of that field not applied to the row headers.

I have reports where we want to be able to style some of these rows headers as sections and apparently this is not supported?

matrix-example.jpgMy Published Matrix report with Quirks

I'm curious to know if there will be a workaround or solution to this.  We would like to have "sections" in our matrix visuals and I thought that I'd be able to apply field formatting to the values and make them as rows would accomplish this, but apparently it does not.  (Note, the reason why the sections are to the far left is because I put special space charaters in those field names in order to "seperate" them out better, but it's not ideal).

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Matrix Visual: Format Row Header when Values are as Rows issue

Hi @Namkce,

That is the default behaviour of the Default style. If you change it into None, you can set it up freely. Note: you have to set other options too. Please refer to the snapshot below. 

Matrix-Visual-Format-Row-Header-when-Values-are-as-Rows-issue

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Namkce Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Dave @v-jiascu-m, but your suggestion/solution does not work for me.  

We do not want all of the Row Headers to be stylized... only specific Rows are suppose to have the heading styling.  Your suggestion makes all of the rows get the same exact styling.  If you look at the screen cliping that I presented in my original message, you should see that I only want 6 specific Rows to have the formating (Head Count and Quota, Dials, Demos Set (Opps), Demos Complete (Opps), Bookings Wins & Losses, and Open Opportunities).  Notice how the rows where the values would be are all dark/grey to illustrate that those rows are section dividers, but that styling won't apply to the Row header/label even though I want it to.

So I followed your steps of turning the [Style] to None, and working with the [Row Headers] styling options...  

Here is what your propose solution looks like when I tried it:

v-jiascu solution for row header matrix.JPGMy matrix report with your suggested solution, not ideal results.

As you can see, the formatting applies to all of the rows when using the Row header styling option.  I still can not style individual row headers.  I really believe this is a bug in Power BI that needs to be addressed/fixed.  You will notice above, that I tried to style the "Head Count and Quota" row, but my styling only applies to the value cells... I really need it to apply to the header too, but Power BI ignores that option when I use Values as Rows.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Namkce,

I have reported it to the Product Team: CRI 93005946. Let's wait and see what it should be. Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Namkce,

The cause has been found. The Product Team is working on the fix.

Best Regards,
Dale

armand453 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Is there a fix released? Because it doen't work for me either.

Best regards,

Namkce Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@armand453  As far as I know, I haven't seen a fix yet

@v-jiascu-msft Do you know when the fix will be rolled out?  Are you able to provide any status on this issue?

JSummersgill Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is there any update on this issue? I've come across it as well and it's quite frustrating. I have a matrix with values on rows, but I can't format the row header to match the field formatting.

In my example I have the field formatting for certain rows to have a different background, but I can't get the row header to match.