Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Namkce
Advocate III
Advocate III

Matrix Visual: Format Row Header when Values are as Rows issue

I've noticed a quirk in how Power BI Matrix Visual (doesn't) display Row Headers styling when using Values as Rows:

Repro steps:

1. Create Matrix Visual with columns and values only (no rows)
  2. Under Formating, select Field Formatting and turn on "Apply to header" and make some font/background color changes.

Matrix visual: Columns and ValuesMatrix visual: Columns and Values

Matrix Formatting: Apply field formatting to headerMatrix Formatting: Apply field formatting to header

Observe results:  You will see your formating of that field applied to the column headers, which is as expected.

My matrix report when Values are as Column, Headers are formatted.My matrix report when Values are as Column, Headers are formatted.

1. Under Formating, select the Values dropdown and turn on "Show on rows"

Matrix Formatting: Values as RowsMatrix Formatting: Values as Rows

Observe results:  You will see your formatting of that field not applied to the row headers.

I have reports where we want to be able to style some of these rows headers as sections and apparently this is not supported?

My Published Matrix report with QuirksMy Published Matrix report with Quirks

I'm curious to know if there will be a workaround or solution to this.  We would like to have "sections" in our matrix visuals and I thought that I'd be able to apply field formatting to the values and make them as rows would accomplish this, but apparently it does not.  (Note, the reason why the sections are to the far left is because I put special space charaters in those field names in order to "seperate" them out better, but it's not ideal).

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

How has this still not been fixed years and years later? Clearly a huge issue

SchRok
Advocate I
Advocate I

As there is currently still no fix and we are in April 2022, I was wondering if there is a better way to make it known to the developers that this is rather important for a lot of users?

Edit: perhaps we can upvote this.

giancarlos29
Regular Visitor

November 2020 and has this been fixed ? I think not.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Namkce 

This should have been fixed in the latest version.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Namkce,

That is the default behaviour of the Default style. If you change it into None, you can set it up freely. Note: you have to set other options too. Please refer to the snapshot below. 

Matrix-Visual-Format-Row-Header-when-Values-are-as-Rows-issue

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Dave @v-jiascu-m, but your suggestion/solution does not work for me.  

We do not want all of the Row Headers to be stylized... only specific Rows are suppose to have the heading styling.  Your suggestion makes all of the rows get the same exact styling.  If you look at the screen cliping that I presented in my original message, you should see that I only want 6 specific Rows to have the formating (Head Count and Quota, Dials, Demos Set (Opps), Demos Complete (Opps), Bookings Wins & Losses, and Open Opportunities).  Notice how the rows where the values would be are all dark/grey to illustrate that those rows are section dividers, but that styling won't apply to the Row header/label even though I want it to.

So I followed your steps of turning the [Style] to None, and working with the [Row Headers] styling options...  

Here is what your propose solution looks like when I tried it:

My matrix report with your suggested solution, not ideal results.My matrix report with your suggested solution, not ideal results.

As you can see, the formatting applies to all of the rows when using the Row header styling option.  I still can not style individual row headers.  I really believe this is a bug in Power BI that needs to be addressed/fixed.  You will notice above, that I tried to style the "Head Count and Quota" row, but my styling only applies to the value cells... I really need it to apply to the header too, but Power BI ignores that option when I use Values as Rows.

Hi @Namkce,

I have reported it to the Product Team: CRI 93005946. Let's wait and see what it should be. Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

the issue is fix or not, please advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately not in Power bI report server september 2019 version.  I havent tried in the cloud version.

Hi @Namkce,

The cause has been found. The Product Team is working on the fix.

Best Regards,
Dale

Has this been fixed or is this still a problem? 

As far as I can tell. This is still a problem.

I actually have a question for the original poster -- how were you able to get the indents/ tabs in your row titles? Did you build the leading spaces into the actual values / data itself? I'm building out some financial reports, and the ability to have the spaces there at least helps in presenting an indented look as you have in your screenshots.

@Whoaitsyu 

@Whoaitsyu wrote:

As far as I can tell. This is still a problem.

I actually have a question for the original poster -- how were you able to get the indents/ tabs in your row titles? Did you build the leading spaces into the actual values / data itself? I'm building out some financial reports, and the ability to have the spaces there at least helps in presenting an indented look as you have in your screenshots.

What I did was create a calculated field with no values, and then renamed those fields with whitespaces so I could indent.  I had to use a combination of different whitespaces to get the indentation I wanted, even so, it wasn't aligned perfectly.  

Charmap.exe is a good application for finding "whitespace" chars.Charmap.exe is a good application for finding "whitespace" chars.

I used charmap.exe (Character Map) to help find whitespace chars like U+00A0 (No-Break Space) and sections between U+2000 thru U+200F.  One of the things I found was that you can't have consequetive spaces or whitespace of the same value, so you have to sort of mix it up to get the appropriate spacing you want.  In the code block below, I have various whitespaces in there, though I don't know if they'll copy thru the forum post properly.

           ​‌‍<u+200e><u+200f>

nbsp;      ​‌‍

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

In May 2020 version, apply to header works only for color formatting. It does not apply for alignment 😕  

@v-jiascu-msft 

If the fix was recoinized over 10 months ago... has it been rolled out yet?  I haven't seen this as fixed yet.  Can we get a status update on this??  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft 

Is this resolved?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I am facing the same problem. We are using Power BI report server . 

We need to add subsections to our table (matrix visual) and there is no way i can do it. Because apply to header option does not work. 

Regards,

Maddy

Hi,

Is there a fix released? Because it doen't work for me either.

Best regards,

@armand453  As far as I know, I haven't seen a fix yet

@v-jiascu-msft Do you know when the fix will be rolled out?  Are you able to provide any status on this issue?

Is there any update on this issue? I've come across it as well and it's quite frustrating. I have a matrix with values on rows, but I can't format the row header to match the field formatting.

In my example I have the field formatting for certain rows to have a different background, but I can't get the row header to match.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.