Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdoyon

Map visualation show wrong locations after update

After the update, I start to see sites from the netherlands in USA, I never had that before. I was using the full address and it's tottaly stopped working after the upgrade.

I found  a previous post they show how to set data category, it's a bit better but still show sites are the wrong location.

As shown in the video from Herbert, I added a column called  Country PostalCode = Portal[Country]&" "&Portal[ZipCode]   and I set this data category as place. Dragging Country and ZipCode with proper Data Category doesn't help as well.

The maps were working so well before the update ...  Something changed with the last update.

Now, all the sites you see in the picture are in the nederlands but they are showing in USA.  I have 2000+ sites showing correctly in the Nederlands. If I put the same information in Bing map, it shows a location in the netherlands.

At then end of the day, I'm trying to display a bubble for each full address that I have in my system like I use to do before the upgrade.

Map with invalid locations

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jdoyon,

I'd like to suggest you create custom hierarchy and use drill down to instead the concatenate columns. Actually, after the update of bing map control, the concatenate feature is not fully support on map.

Reference:

Power BI Desktop June Feature Summary

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v7 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. The target date is June 30th.
At this time, please download Jun release desktop and define GEO hierarchy. To take full advantage of this, you'll need to set the Data Category for each column correctly.

You can try to setting the concatenate column to 'place' catagory to work throuth it.

Notice: this solution not works on some of senarios.(some contcatenate locations still not suport)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi,

Thanks Xiaoxin it's working now.

In case someone else run in the same situation, here are the details steps I did:

1 - Upgrade to June 30th

2-  In the datasource query editor, I created a  custom column with this formula =Text.Combine({[Address],[City],[Country]}, ", ")

3 - In the Modeling Tab of PBI Desktop, I configured the data category for the new custom Column as type Place.

4 - I used the new custom column as location for the Map Control.

I also published it on Power BI Online and the maps renders properly the different locations now.

Jo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jdoyon,

I'd like to suggest you create custom hierarchy and use drill down to instead the concatenate columns. Actually, after the update of bing map control, the concatenate feature is not fully support on map.

Reference:

Power BI Desktop June Feature Summary

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v7 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. The target date is June 30th.
At this time, please download Jun release desktop and define GEO hierarchy. To take full advantage of this, you'll need to set the Data Category for each column correctly.

You can try to setting the concatenate column to 'place' catagory to work throuth it.

Notice: this solution not works on some of senarios.(some contcatenate locations still not suport)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks Xiaoxin it's working now.

In case someone else run in the same situation, here are the details steps I did:

1 - Upgrade to June 30th

2-  In the datasource query editor, I created a  custom column with this formula =Text.Combine({[Address],[City],[Country]}, ", ")

3 - In the Modeling Tab of PBI Desktop, I configured the data category for the new custom Column as type Place.

4 - I used the new custom column as location for the Map Control.

I also published it on Power BI Online and the maps renders properly the different locations now.

Jo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.