Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

calloni
Helper I
Helper I

Many Facts to Many Manufactors

Hello community

Long time listener, first time caller.

I am new to Data Modeling in Power BI and I have this situation that I am trying to resolve for some weeks now. I have a FACT table with products (every row is a product transaction) that I need to build a relationship to the products manufactors. But the caveat in my scenario is that every product can have one or many manufactors. Here is a brief view of these 2 tables

calloni_0-1697464125734.png

How can I resolve this dilemma and avoid a many to many relationship structure? Should I build a table in the middle with a distinct list of product_ids and connect one to many to both sides? For me this seems like cheating 🙂

Anyway, if someone can give me some light here I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Rodri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@calloni ,
Bridge table (NEW PRODUCT TABLE in your case) seems to be the best way to go ahead.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @calloni ,
Yes, a bridge table is what you require to eliminate many-to-many relationship. 

Just 1 additional observation, ideally there should be only one product ID assigned against a product. In your data screenshot, Product ID 1, 2, 3 have 3 each. Maybe this is only a dummy data but just wanted to point it out.

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

LinkedIn

Thanks for your help Anand! I really appreaciate your time!

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. The right side table is not a table of product_ids, it is a table of manufactors for the product_ids. That'ts why I have several manufactors for a single product_id (and yes this is only a dummy data for my real case scenario)

Of course I can create a table with only a distinct list of product IDs, but my question here: isn't this the same as many to many? I mean, I will have a one to many to the FACT table and a one to many to PRODUCT MANURACTOR like the following diagram:

calloni_0-1697466321253.png

@calloni ,
Bridge table (NEW PRODUCT TABLE in your case) seems to be the best way to go ahead.

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.