Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup Rating From Previous Quarter to See if Current Rating Has Changed

Hi,

I have a table containing ratings of different products from all quarters.

I want to be able to lookup the previous quarter rating (add that as a new column to my table) to do further calculations in the future, but I'm having trouble referencing the columns from my table variables.

Info: NewHelperQuarter is last quarter, [Rating] is string, and EARLIER is so that the filter selects all rows from that previous quarter.

Is there any way to make SELECTCOLUMNS return a single column instead of table? I remember @TomMartens talked about data lineage in this post Do any of you know how to solve this?

For example I have "Product A", I want the Q4 "Product A" to have the Q3 rating as an entry, the Q3 "Product A" to have the Q2 rating etc. for all quarters and all products (Product A - Z)

Thank you!image.png

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you have a date use Time intelligence. Else have separate table for Year Qtr and create a rank column on that, join back on year qtr

examples

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),PREVIOUSQUARTER(('Date'[Date])))

new column

Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Year Qtr],,ASC,Dense) //YYYYQ

Measures
This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thank you for the help. I was just wondering do the examples sum all the sales from that quarter? Because my rating values are like "BBB" and I don't want to sum up the previous quarter.

For example I have "Product A", I want the Q4 "Product A" to have the Q3 rating as an entry, the Q3 "Product A" to have the Q2 rating etc. for all quarters and all products (Product A - Z for example)

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.