Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Log Analytics exported to Blob Storage - Import JSON files cause Extra char in JSON input error

Hi,

We have activated export of Log Analytics SignInLogs to Azure Blob Storage Accounts.
The JSON files are being stored in Line format according to the documentation:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/logs/logs-data-export?tabs=portal#storage-acco...

I now want to import the files into PowerBI.
If I try to import a single JSON file, it works fine and I see the correct data format, with correct number of colummns, column names, etc:

OddmarLid_0-1683898961109.png

But if I try to use the "Combine Files" on all the JSON files in the Container in Blob Storage I get error:

OddmarLid_2-1683899342020.png

"There is an error in the file with extra characters at the end of JSON input"

According to this post, there is an issue with JSON in Line format:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/We-found-extra-characters-at-the-end-of-JSON-input/m-p/2060...

But there don´t seem to be a resolution that solves my problem.

If I follow the steps that @davidniw333 suggested (I have also replayed back on his answer, but not sure who will see it), I´m not able to get the data in the format I want.

1. Try the TRIM option first:

OddmarLid_1-1683899293205.png

2. Then convert back to Binary option

OddmarLid_3-1683899394346.png

3. Then I try the "Combine Files" on all the JSON files and get this selection:

OddmarLid_5-1683899598128.png

I have tried with multiple option here for "File Origin" and "Delimiter", but the output of this just dosen´t seem usable:

OddmarLid_6-1683899679746.png

And number of colums has gone from 76 to over 150 with values and columns names jumbeled togheter.
So I dont trust the data anymore and to clean up the data will be a big effort.

Anybody that has managed to import Log Analytics Exported JSON files from Azue Blob storage into PowerBI successfully?

Regards
Oddmar

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.