Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pocquet
Regular Visitor

Line graph Forecasting

Hi All,

I have generated a forecast using the line graph method, of which I am happy with.

This forecast shows demand in hours, out for the next 2 months based on 2 years of data.

This contains Demand and takes into account any current or historic hours spent working on this demand.

I wish to add a What If variable so I can show what happens If I up the number of working hours, what effect this will have on the forecast.

I have made a model in Excel that does this however I am at a loss on how to do this in Power BI.

Any advice?

Poc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pocquet,

>>is it possible to recreate that forecast value somehow so I can generate my own forecast rather than relying on the one generated by Power BI?

Yes, it is possible to create the forecast value based on current value.
You can write formulas to calculate YOY or MOM change rates, then you cna use these rate with current value to calculate out the 'forecast' value of the coming date.

BTW, if you are familiar with R or Python script. You can also create R/python visuals to coding formula invoke their forecast libraries to get the forecast values based on current table records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

HI Buddy,

I get how to use it and incorporate it into Dax,

However, I wish to use it to affect the forecast result based on what is generated via the line graph.

Simply put All I want to do [ForcastedValue]-([WhatIfValue]*[forecast Points])

What I cant seem to figure out is how to manipulate (or manually generate) the [ForecastedValue]

Thanks

Poc

HI @pocquet,

Did these forecast values analysis by line chart 'analytics panel' forecast line feature? If this is a case, you can't use DAX expressions to calculate with forecast value. (they are virtual graph line that generated by analytic feature and you can't extract real values to calculate)

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft 

Thanks for that, yeah that's exactly what I want to do.

is it possible to recreate that forecast value somehow so I can generate my own forecast rather than relying on the one generated by Power BI?

Hi @pocquet,

>>is it possible to recreate that forecast value somehow so I can generate my own forecast rather than relying on the one generated by Power BI?

Yes, it is possible to create the forecast value based on current value.
You can write formulas to calculate YOY or MOM change rates, then you cna use these rate with current value to calculate out the 'forecast' value of the coming date.

BTW, if you are familiar with R or Python script. You can also create R/python visuals to coding formula invoke their forecast libraries to get the forecast values based on current table records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.