Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CarlSagan
Helper I
Helper I

KPI visual default value different than card visual

With no years selected, the KPI shows the total of assets for the latest year. But when the measure is put into a card visual or matrix, you can see the total is the sum of all the years. Why isn’t the kpi showing the sum total of all the years as the starting value?

CarlSagan_0-1711466015582.png

The card visuals for total and previous year show the same as the kpi when the slicer has 2024 for the filter

CarlSagan_1-1711466185946.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @CarlSagan 

Based on your description, it appears that the KPI visual object displays the total assets for the most recent year, while the card visual object and matrix summarise assets for all years without selecting a specific year.

In the KPI visual object, this behaviour is by design.The KPI visual object in Power BI is intended to reflect performance against a target over a specific period or condition. When no specific filters are applied, it defaults to displaying the most recent period of data (in your case, the most recent year) as the metric. This is because KPIs are often used to monitor current performance against a goal or benchmark, which usually involves the most recent data available.

On the other hand, card vision objects and matrices aggregate data from all available data points unless otherwise filtered. This means that in the absence of any slicers affecting these visuals, they will show the sum of all years.

To align the KPI visual object with the Card and Matrix visual objects based on the data displayed, you can rework the Measure logic in the Card.

Measure = 
VAR _sumThings = CALCULATE(SUM('YourTable'[column]))
VAR _sumThings_2024 = CALCULATE(SUM('YourTable'[column]),FILTER('YourTable','YourTable'[Date].[Year] = 2024))
RETURN
IF(ISFILTERED('YourTable'[Date]),_sumThings_2024,_sumThings)

Related link: Solved: KPI card displays different value to card and tabl... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @CarlSagan 

Based on your description, it appears that the KPI visual object displays the total assets for the most recent year, while the card visual object and matrix summarise assets for all years without selecting a specific year.

In the KPI visual object, this behaviour is by design.The KPI visual object in Power BI is intended to reflect performance against a target over a specific period or condition. When no specific filters are applied, it defaults to displaying the most recent period of data (in your case, the most recent year) as the metric. This is because KPIs are often used to monitor current performance against a goal or benchmark, which usually involves the most recent data available.

On the other hand, card vision objects and matrices aggregate data from all available data points unless otherwise filtered. This means that in the absence of any slicers affecting these visuals, they will show the sum of all years.

To align the KPI visual object with the Card and Matrix visual objects based on the data displayed, you can rework the Measure logic in the Card.

Measure = 
VAR _sumThings = CALCULATE(SUM('YourTable'[column]))
VAR _sumThings_2024 = CALCULATE(SUM('YourTable'[column]),FILTER('YourTable','YourTable'[Date].[Year] = 2024))
RETURN
IF(ISFILTERED('YourTable'[Date]),_sumThings_2024,_sumThings)

Related link: Solved: KPI card displays different value to card and tabl... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Thanks for the response. I actually just made some measures for running totals but took your measure and adapted it for a different purpose. Your idea for just having a conditional measure based on weather a filter is applied is the correct solution for my question so I will accept this as the answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.