Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Item Mix Visualization

so i have 4 columns of binary data 

i want to be able to filter through the combinations of the 4 how can i do that?

ie if i have product 1 and product 2 vs having all 4 products?

when i try to them into a treemap with their counts in values i just get a total count and selecting each combination does nothing

12 REPLIES 12
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

Any chance you can post a small example set of data?  That might make it easier to understand what you are after. 🙂

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

sample data.PNG

1 meaning they have that item and 0 meaning the dont

i want to be able to see the different combinations of items customers buy and how it affects my total revenue 

Hi @Anonymous

So for the above example, what is your ideal result?  Can you also mock that up in Excel?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

i guess something like this where i am able to see the different impacts of item combination on this particular KPI

If you only have 4 columns as per your example you could just create a new calculated column like this

mix = 'Table1'[Item 1] & "," & 
		 'Table1'[Item 2] & "," &
		 'Table1'[Item 3] & "," & 
		 'Table1'[Item 4]

and then drag that to a Grid and sum your Revenue column.  I suspect your real example isn't so straight forward??

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have 4 items i need combinations of it sounds like this would be listing out all 24 combinations for separate revenue 

i was hoping to be able to use a treemap so you could select the combinations better and accounting for these different combinations would happen behind the scenes automatically like when im selecting different regions for sales data across the states

Hi @Anonymous,

i was hoping to be able to use a treemap so you could select the combinations better and accounting for these different combinations would happen behind the scenes automatically like when im selecting different regions for sales data across the states

Is your expected result similar like below?

r3.PNG

If so, you can firstly use the formula provided by @Phil_Seamark above to add a calculate column to your table.

mix = 'Table1'[Item1] & "," & 
		 'Table1'[Item2] & "," &
		 'Table1'[Item3] & "," & 
		 'Table1'[Item4]

c2.PNG

Then, you can use the new create calculate column as Group on the Treemap, and use the four Item column as Slicers to get your expected result on the report.

r4.PNG

Here is the sample pbix file for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

thats the thing if you write out all the combinations like that it doesnt scale

this treemap for combinations should be very simple 

perhaps its my set up

Hey @Anonymous

maybe you are looking for something like this, taken from this little example

2017-07-08_12-11-40.png

The table showh a normal sales table, I created a calculated column "Item_Mix" that concatenates the items purchased by each customer, this is the dax statement:

Item_Mix = CALCULATE(
    CONCATENATEX(VALUES(Sales[Item]),'Sales'[Item],","),
    ALLEXCEPT('Sales',Sales[Customer_ID])
)

Using a calculated column enables you to use this column in visuals or as a slicer.

The problem here is the underlying assumption, that the concatenation can be performed as a calculated column. Meaning that the calculation can become much more complex if it has to consider more columns.

A calculated column is necessary due to the effect, that measures currently can not be used on axis or as content for a slicer - this is for a couple of reasons and i would assume that this will not change in the near future.

Hope this helps

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @Anonymous

I'm keen to understand more about what you mean about selecting combinations.

Feel free to DM me with a PBIX file with more detail so I can help more.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

and are those rows individual transactions or purchases over time?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

their purchases over time, not transactions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.