Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TiagoKorynek
Regular Visitor

Issue when importing from an Access Database - Calculated Fields / Columns

I have recently started using PowerBI as it looked quite exciting to use to visualise data from my Access Database. I have been using PowerBI desktop and going through the usual Get Data -> From Access Database and going to my file to import the data. However, I seem to be getting quite a few errors and columns which do not get imported correctly and I believe they are to do with being calculated columns. Am I not ticking / selecting certain options or are these columns not supported in PowerBI and do I have to find some sort of work around to get these calculated columns?

I can't seem to be able to view the erroneous entries as all that seems to appear are the loading dots at the top of the screen. Therefore the calculated columns is only a hunch as a lot of these are coming back as 0 or Error even though they are all values >0 in my database.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TiagoKorynek,

Based on test, calculated field works and I haven't faced your issue, below is the test file.

>>>>TblTcDelIDDATESTNATAATA4DIGITATA2DIGITATALAST2ATASecondaryDELAY HRSDELAY MINSAOGDelayTotalMinsEvent TypeSeverity Index

In addition, can you fix your column name? It is hard to understanding above text.

Regard,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TiagoKorynek,

Based on test, I can import the calculate fields to power bi,these fields display the correct value.

Can you provide detail contents or share some sample file to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

How do I upload a database or table?

Hi @TiagoKorynek,

>>How do I upload a database or table?

You can share the sample data of table and the formula of calculated field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Oh that's a shame that we can't do a straight file swap.

TblTcDelIDDATESTNATAATA4DIGITATA2DIGITATALAST2ATASecondaryDELAY HRSDELAY MINSAOGDelayTotalMinsEvent TypeSeverity Index

115/01/2001MAN52-00 DOORS52-00520 203No123DLY0.55
224/01/2001MAN77-00 ENGINE INDICATING SYSTEM77-00770 239No159DLY0.55
330/09/2001PMI36-00 PNEUMATIC SYSTEM36-00360 102No62DLY0.3
401/01/2006AMS52-00 DOORS52-00520 033No33DLY0.24
501/01/2006GVA21-31 PRESSURIZATION CONTROL SYSTEM21-312131 640No400DIV1.6
602/01/2006PRG34-00 NAVIGATION34-00340 029No29DLY0.22

The column I am having an issue with has the following formula 

((IIf([Event Type]="ATB",0.75,(IIf([Event Type]="CANX",0.6,(IIf([Event Type]="DIV",0.8,(IIf([Event Type]="DLY",0.1,(IIf([Event Type]="IFSD",0.9,(IIf([Event Type]="RTOHS",0.5,(IIf([Event Type]="RTOLS",0.4,(IIf([Event Type]="RTS",0.3,0)))))))))))))))))+(IIf([DelayTotalMins]<30,0.12,(IIf([DelayTotalMins]<60,0.14,(IIf([DelayTotalMins]<120,0.2,(IIf([DelayTotalMins]<120,0.3,(IIf([DelayTotalMins]<180,0.45,(IIf([DelayTotalMins]>179.9,0.8,0))))))))))))+(IIf([AOG]="-1",1,0))

Thanks

Hi @TiagoKorynek,

Based on test, calculated field works and I haven't faced your issue, below is the test file.

>>>>TblTcDelIDDATESTNATAATA4DIGITATA2DIGITATALAST2ATASecondaryDELAY HRSDELAY MINSAOGDelayTotalMinsEvent TypeSeverity Index

In addition, can you fix your column name? It is hard to understanding above text.

Regard,

Xiaoxin Sheng

I tried getting my column headers into the table's format here in the forum reply window, but wasn't able to do so.

The column names are:

ID

DATE

STN

ATA

ATA4DIGIT

ATA2DIGIT

ATALAST2

ATASecondary

DELAY HRS

DELAY MINS

AOG

DelayTotalMins

Event Type

Severity Index

I will have a look are you database example now, how did you attach a zip file? I was struggling to find how to do it. Is it because you have the super contributor title or something?

I am trying to figure out what I have done differently with my column of "Severity Index" and what you have done with the column "Calculate".

Are you able to explain to me the steps you took in Access and the steps you took in Power BI to create the "test import access.pbix" file that you created for me please? For example all the properties you assigned to the field in Access as well, as this may have influenced the import into PowerBI.

I have spotted that there is a difference in the Access Databases in our respective calculated columns ("Calculated" in yours and "Severity Index" in mine). You have set yours up to be:

Result Type: Double

Decimal Places: Auto

Where as I have the following:

Result Type: Decimal

Format: General Number

Precision: 18

Scale: 0

Decimal Places: Auto

I will try changing this formatting on a test database and report back my findings whilst I wait to hear your reply. 🙂

(Edit: Reporting back my findings - I changed the properties of the "Severity Index" column to those of your "Calculated" and everything imported correctly. There must have been something PowerBI doesn't like about those properties, but I guess I am now able to start making my pretty charts and visuals so thank you. The error information in PowerBI was a bit vague though and didn't help me much with figuring out the error myself (maybe I'm too much of a novice), maybe it is something to take note of when developing the software to allow newbies like myself to avoid having to spam forums with simple problems? Maybe a simple "The issue you are having is something to do with the properties of severity index coming from your Access database")

(Edit: I am trying to compare my database + the one you sent me to try and isolate what the differences are [so please don't think I am being lazy] I am pretty new to Access and PowerBI so I will probably miss quite a few parameters to compare and these might be causing the problem hence why I asked)

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.