Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

emma313823
Helper IV
Helper IV

Is there any visual that could accomplish this?

Hi

I have a table that includes lots of info like the customer, part number, sales, commissions, etc. My salespeople often need to search on multiple part number lead-offs. By this I mean a part number could be EGG.TT.123456 or FGG.TT.56789. I need to see if there is a visual that would allow the ability to filter off on just EGG.TT, select all that appears, then a second search for FGG.TT, select all. The end result would allow the user to have all the EGG.TT and FGG.TT part numbers showing, then they could export that data.

The part number column is set to TEXT.

I thought the slicer would work, but it does not seem to allow for this type of scenario. I also found a Filter by List visual, but this seems to require the entire part number not just the Starts With or lead off of the part number.

Emma

Emma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emma313823 ,

Here is a sample data I made. I believe that this measure could accomplish what you described in the forum.

10.png

First, I created a table with ETG, number and index. And the ETG column is the only column that matters in this problem.

I used the following measure:

Measure = 
VAR FilterGG = 

IF( CONTAINSSTRING(MAX('Table'[ETG]),"EGG.TT") || CONTAINSSTRING(MAX('Table'[ETG]),"FGG.TT")=TRUE(),1)

RETURN FilterGG

This will return 1 for every row with its name begins with EGG.TT and FGG.TT

11.png

Now, we can go to the filter, and drag Measure into the filter. I circled those parts in the below picture.
12.png

Next, fill the blank with the constraints mentioned in the measure function. In this case, show items when the value is 1. Then click on “APPLY FILTER”.

13.png

And now we get a table all starts with EGG or FGG followed by the data.

14.png

The essential part of this method is to create a Boolean function to identify the beginning three letters and make sure that only those valid rows are showed.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emma313823 ,

Here is a sample data I made. I believe that this measure could accomplish what you described in the forum.

10.png

First, I created a table with ETG, number and index. And the ETG column is the only column that matters in this problem.

I used the following measure:

Measure = 
VAR FilterGG = 

IF( CONTAINSSTRING(MAX('Table'[ETG]),"EGG.TT") || CONTAINSSTRING(MAX('Table'[ETG]),"FGG.TT")=TRUE(),1)

RETURN FilterGG

This will return 1 for every row with its name begins with EGG.TT and FGG.TT

11.png

Now, we can go to the filter, and drag Measure into the filter. I circled those parts in the below picture.
12.png

Next, fill the blank with the constraints mentioned in the measure function. In this case, show items when the value is 1. Then click on “APPLY FILTER”.

13.png

And now we get a table all starts with EGG or FGG followed by the data.

14.png

The essential part of this method is to create a Boolean function to identify the beginning three letters and make sure that only those valid rows are showed.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.