Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tzuckerscharff

Is there a way to display all data sources used in a report?

I developed a fairly complex "dashboard" in PowerBI and am now trying to clean it up.  I want to delete all unused data sources and pair down everything else.  My problem is that I don't see a way to easily display which data sources are being used by some element in the report and which are not.  Something like the Query Dependencies view for reports would be nice :-).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tzuckerscharff See if this helps: Power BI Cleaner Gen2 is here – The BIccountant

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tzuckerscharff

This is solved with one caveat, The tool referenced on the page greg refered to is still in beta.  Measure Killer is a third party tool for pbix files.  It is not completely automatic, in case you are worried it will destroy your creation.  I would however make a backup of the pbix file and run it on the backup (just my backup 2 cents and paranoia).

I ended up deleting some tables/fields with the tool and most by hand with help identifying them with the tool.  It seems to me from what I can tell, that fileds with the same name in different tables may be identified as the same.  For instance, I have two tables with financial data, both use the name cancer related annual project dc, but the one table that has older data is saying that the field is used in the visual, but it is the newer table (funding from spreadhseet), with the field cancer related annual project dc that is actually showing.

I also discovered that hiddden visuals count, which is both good and bad, depending on how you hide your visuals.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tzuckerscharff See if this helps: Power BI Cleaner Gen2 is here – The BIccountant

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_DecklerTurns out that tool has been retired, but there was a link there to a tool called measure killer which might do the trick.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.