Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arpost
Advocate V
Advocate V

Is it possible for one What If parameter to use the value in another What If parameter?

I have a scenario where I want to use three what if parameters to determine what slice of 100% specific items use. For example, let's say I have a total value of 100. I want Team A to tackle 25%, Team B to tackle 50%, and Team C to tackle 25%.

arpost_0-1626399412046.png

I'd like to use the What If parameter slicers so they change each other, meaning if I change Team A to 100%, Teams B and C are set to max of 0% since Team A has it all.

arpost_1-1626399478098.png

Is something like this even possible in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-rzhou-msft, thanks for letting me know this isn't currently possible for sliders and for the suggested workaround. Sadly, the list won't do the trick from a UX standpoint, but the dynamic code seems very interesting. I'll definitely have to review that further.

I've voted on that idea and also created one of my own that is oriented toward accomplishing this via the UI: Add the ability to link What-if parameters

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arpost 

I think your requirement is that total of three slicer is 100, three slicers should be dynamic. Only measure could be dynamic, however Power BI doesn't support us to add measure into slicer. Though we can add measure into the filter field in the slicer, then range of slicer will be disable.

1.png

Here I will give you an advice.

Try drop down slicer and build filter measures for Slicer B and Slicer C.

Measure = IF(SUM(B[B])>(100 - SUM(A[A])),0,1)
Measure 2 = IF(SUM(C[C])=(100 - SUM(A[A])-SUM(B[B]) ),1,0)

Add Measure into filter field in Slicer B and set it to show items when the value =1.
2.png

Add Measure2 into filter field in Slicer C and set it to show items when the value =1.

Then use slicer in order of A, B ,C.

Ex:

Select 100 in Slicer A

Slicer B = 0

2.png

Slicer C = 0.

3.png

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can vote up this idea for this function:Enable measure to be put in a slicer

Or you can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.
It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

@v-rzhou-msft, thanks for letting me know this isn't currently possible for sliders and for the suggested workaround. Sadly, the list won't do the trick from a UX standpoint, but the dynamic code seems very interesting. I'll definitely have to review that further.

I've voted on that idea and also created one of my own that is oriented toward accomplishing this via the UI: Add the ability to link What-if parameters

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.