Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

user180618
Helper I
Helper I

Integrating Power BI with Qualys dashboards

Is there a way to replicate specific dashboards set up in Qualys (with all the widgets visualising data) in Power BI? I have read through the forums and couldn't find anything about it. In general, I'm having trouble connecting to Qualys endpoints. There's no HOST_LIST column as outlined in this Qualys support article:

user180618_1-1692280088141.png

Also, connecting as described in the article (using From Web > Advanced and so on) just gave me a "We couldn’t authenticate with the credentials provided", even when I connected as Anonymous, so the only workaround was to paste the above into a blank query.

Anyone have any experience with this? Qualys's support just refers me to Power BI community threads...

6 REPLIES 6
BuddyB
Frequent Visitor

As a Qualys user, I have been working on this as well.  I will try to come up with a series of guides that are a bit more polished, but for a basic API connectivity scenario like yours, which seems to be the most common, I'll show you how that's done.  Qualys isn't great about showing the step-by-step process for API connectivity, or telling folks that their data is a bunch of nested tables. It won't be a flat CSV report download via the Qualys UI. 

Instead of a screenshot to show you, I made a quick YouTube video to show you how I connect vai API and drill into the nested tables. 

Here is the video:  Pull Qualys VM Data via API using PowerBI - https://youtu.be/6J-AES7L5eA

That's useful thanks! This also works if inputting directly into Advanced Editor:

let
Url = "https://qualysapi.qualys.eu/api/2.0/asset/host/vm/detection/",
AuthString = "Basic abc123",
Source = Xml.Tables(
Web.Contents (
Url,
[
Headers = [ #"Authorization" = AuthString,
#"X-Requested-With" = "Power BI"],
Query = [action = "list"],
Content = Text.ToBinary("")
]

)
)

Side note: do you know which parameter in the API documentation corresponds to the dashboard time filter in the Qualys platform? The one's that's set to a default of 30 Days above all the widgets.

I tried the max_days_since_detection_updated=30 parameter but I'm getting different vulnerability numbers on the platform compared to when calling the API...

The filter that's above all the widgets is not for VM. It only applies to CS, CV, CSAM, EDR, FIM, and WAF.  

BuddyB_0-1697563546128.png

A couple of notes: 

• The data you're using in Power BI is a snapshot, so the numbers might not be exactly the same as the dashboard, but they should be very close depending on when you refreshed the data (I'm sure you thought of this already).
  • For time filtering, that's not an API thing, it's going to be a Power BI visualization/slicer thing.  You will probably need to format the date columns as they combine the date/times as a single word.  So for example, when transforming the data in the query, you might see this "2023-10-12T06:43:14Z", so you can do a Replace Values option two times, one for "T" to be " " (space) and another to replace "Z" with "" (nothing).  Then after you Close & Apply you adjust the Data Type of that column to be Date/Time. 

Then I believe you can just create a slicer and drag the date into the Values field.  Sort of like this:

BuddyB_1-1697574914859.png

-Buddy

user180618
Helper I
Helper I

Their response:

Qualys does not own Power BI, Power BI just uses Qualys API for integration into their platform. I would suggest reaching out to Power BI to see if importing dashboards through API is possible on their platform. Just let me know.

Odd considering they have a "How to integrate with Power BI" guidance article.

foodd
Super User
Super User

• Are you a user of the Qualys Community Edition or are you a Qualys Customer, and able to open a Support Request? 
  • What is the URL to the discussion about this that you added to The Qualys Community Developer Forum? I am interested in the responses from other Qualys Community Forum members.
  • The latest Qualys API User Guide (Version 10.23) was released a few weeks ago.

I did open a ticket but Qualys's support but they just referred me to Power BI community threads, which didn't really answer my question...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.