Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bvsaicharitha
Helper I
Helper I

Input text option to enter user ID to display only the information related to user

HI,

I would like to create a dashboard where I want to provide a text field for the user to enter his ID and password and then he can see the information related to his performance and also the performace of the members who work under him. Can you please help me how can I do that in Power BI desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@bvsaicharitha,

Please do the following for this to work

1. Create a data set which has the mapping between your user and the column on which the data is to be restricted

For Eg. I am having a category and each category will have users associated with it

So I will have a table that has that mapping as shown below

AA@gmail.com
BB@microsoft.com
CC@yahoo.com
DD@xyz.com

2. Now this new table with your existing data based on the column present, as just joining the queries might not work as expected

In my case, I will merge my data query and User mapping query based on Category

merging.PNG

3. Now create a parameter that will get the User Email ID as the input. Filter the merged query on the Email Column with this parameter. Set the parameter as required.

parameter1.PNG

filtering.PNG

Usermapping.UserEmail is the table that has the mapping between User and column to be restricted on

4. Now save this report as a template. i.e. a .pbit file

Now when you open the report template, it will prompt for a value for the parameter. This happens everytime your report template is opened

The User who opens the report will give his/her email Id and the data will get filtered only such that only those records having their email ID will get filtered.

Note: This will work only in Power BI Desktop and not in Power BI Service.

Regards,

Thejeswar

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@bvsaicharitha,

I think the following link speaks about your requirement.

Check it out please

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49902465/how-we-can-pass-logged-in-user-name-to-fetch-data-from-...

Thanks for the reply. I am not using any database. I am importing data directly from excel files. Can you help me how can I go with it? 

@bvsaicharitha,

Please do the following for this to work

1. Create a data set which has the mapping between your user and the column on which the data is to be restricted

For Eg. I am having a category and each category will have users associated with it

So I will have a table that has that mapping as shown below

AA@gmail.com
BB@microsoft.com
CC@yahoo.com
DD@xyz.com

2. Now this new table with your existing data based on the column present, as just joining the queries might not work as expected

In my case, I will merge my data query and User mapping query based on Category

merging.PNG

3. Now create a parameter that will get the User Email ID as the input. Filter the merged query on the Email Column with this parameter. Set the parameter as required.

parameter1.PNG

filtering.PNG

Usermapping.UserEmail is the table that has the mapping between User and column to be restricted on

4. Now save this report as a template. i.e. a .pbit file

Now when you open the report template, it will prompt for a value for the parameter. This happens everytime your report template is opened

The User who opens the report will give his/her email Id and the data will get filtered only such that only those records having their email ID will get filtered.

Note: This will work only in Power BI Desktop and not in Power BI Service.

Regards,

Thejeswar

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.