Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markhollandau
Resolver I
Resolver I

Incremental Refresh - Duplicate Rows for Refresh Window

Hi,

I've set up Incremental Refresh on my PBIX file. When checking the PBIX file against the Power BI Service, I noticed that the results for the Refresh Window in the Service are double that of the PBIX file.

When I had a closer look at this it appears there are double the amount of rows in the Service than the PBIX file. As below:

PBIX:

01.PNG

Service:

02.PNG

I've had a look around and can see that some users have been advised to check View Native Query in Power Query. However this is greyed out for me. I'm passing a number of parameters through my SQL statement and thought this could be the cause. But I've just tried building a simple connection without parameters and View Native Query is still unavailable.

Do I need to create a unique ID for each row? At the moment there are multiple ID fields but not one specifically for each row.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this? I have a huge volume of data to refresh and could do with implementing an incremental refresh to deal with this.

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lbendlin ,

I think I understand now. I've set the RangeStart parameter to filter to dates AFTER and the RangeEnd parameter to filter dates BEFORE or EQUAL TO. Previously they both had EQUAL TO in the filter.

This seems to have corrected it.

Thanks,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

there can be many reasons for your symptoms. Maybe you can provide more details on your setup

- parameters must be datetime or datenumber

- parameters cannot both be inclusive

- incremental refresh does not account for scenarios where older data gets changed.

Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr...

Hi @lbendlin ,

Thanks for replying. I can confirm that my RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters are DateTime formatted, as below:

markhollandau_0-1661727586427.png

When you say that parameters cannot both be inclusive, what do you mean by this?

On your final point, this is understood. I've set my refresh window to be 60 days, which should be enough of a window to catch anything that changes.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi @lbendlin ,

I think I understand now. I've set the RangeStart parameter to filter to dates AFTER and the RangeEnd parameter to filter dates BEFORE or EQUAL TO. Previously they both had EQUAL TO in the filter.

This seems to have corrected it.

Thanks,

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.