Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Charli
Frequent Visitor

Income statement variation column

Hello all,

After building my income statement, I am trying to introduce some variation column.

For example I want to show the variation between last year actuals and this year in value (N - N-1) and in % (N - N-1 / N-1).

Note that all the data for both years are within the same database source. To build my P&L I have used measures for each lines.

I was not able to find a way to do it, neither with Dax or directly within the app.

Thank you in advance for your help,

2023-11-09 171656.png

2023-11-09 172349.png

4 REPLIES 4
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! You can achieve this using a matrix visual and calculation groups. You can now create calculation groups directly in Power BI (as long as you have the October 2023 version and have the preview feature turned on). I have a blog post about calculation groups (I used Tabular Editor 2 when I did it, but the concept is the same).

http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/08/10/the-calculation-group-edition/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello @audreygerred and thank you for your help!

Unfortunatelly, I don't have the possibility to install Tabular Editor on my PC (restriction imposed by the company) ... Would you know any other way to proceed please ? 

Thank you

You can do calculation groups directly in Power BI desktop as well (as long as you have the October 2023 version). You just need to go into your preview features and turn it on. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I don't know if the calculation group is the sollution, I tried to input the YTD measure but it doesn't really work. And it's not really what I am looking for as I already have all the period and year I need, I just want to calculate some simple variances between two collumns (in value and %) and on multiple values (revenue, external cost of revenue etc.).
If it is through the group calculation, do you have any formula for that please? Or maybe there is another solution?

Thank you again

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.