cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hwr7dd
Frequent Visitor

Import Mode performance 12,000,000 Rows

Hello,

Im working on a project that is using import mode from an azure sql database that refreshes in about 20 minutes. I was under the impression that was fairly good considering the number of rows (~12,000,000) but I was hoping to get some general idea about the average refresh time per million rows in import mode? 

My stakeholders seem to think that is unacceptable and are trying to index the underlying tables to get better performance, but I have doubts as to how much real-world benefit we can get from that. I guess my question is, given absolute PERFECT optimization of the underlying data what is a reasonable refresh time for data of that size in import mode. 

Note: Direct query is not an option here

1 REPLY 1
KNP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @hwr7dd

That's not really an easy question to answer with the given information. Performance tuning in Power BI can be as much art as science. There are so many other factors that can impact the performance, number of columns, tables etc.

I'd be hoping for much better than 20 minutes, the first place I'd be looking for improvement is by using incremental refresh. 

Regards,

Kim

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors