Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

airportplanner
Frequent Visitor

IF statement with LEN, LEFT & RIGHT formulas

Hello, new to Power Bi, sorry if this is a basic question.

I have a column with 2 types of data (lets call it Flight No Colunn) : BA254/BA879 and BA463/548

I have created a helper column that returns the length of each cell (11 or 9)

I would like to create an if command like this:

IF(LEN[Flight No Column]=11, RIGHT[Flight No Column, 5], CONCATENATE(LEFT([Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT([Flight No Column], 5))

However, this does not work as I am combining numbers with text in the same formula.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

i only changed the position of the parentheses

2018-06-20_8-53-43.png

Column 2 = IF(LEN(Table1[Flight No Column]) =11, RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 5), CONCATENATE(LEFT(Table1[Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 3))

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BKirsch12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can you provide an example of the output you are looking for in both scenarios (LEN 9 and 11). I ran your code, adding the appropriate () and this is the result:

CONCAT.PNG

Thank you for your time. Trying to replicate your code i get this

tttttt.PNG

if (LEN(Table1[Column]) = 11, right(Table1[Column],5), CONCATENATE(left(Table1[Column],2),RIGHT(Table1[Column],3)))

is the correct function

With the above code, I can not go to the second step of the if command as shown here:

tttttttttt.png

I am still failing to write down the correct syntax.

Can i kindly ask you to upload your functional Power Bi file?

Can you please share the yellow error message in the screenshot. Also try to copy/paste this :

Column = if (LEN(Table1[Flight No Column]) = 11, right(Table1[Flight No Column],5), CONCATENATE(left(Table1[Flight No Column],2),RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column],3)))

@NipponSahoreunfortunately your code is not working

I can not replicate the working example from @BKirsch12

I am uploading my file, would you mind taking a look ?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tki-_fl_X6HqY2Ea9bV4fV-Je_nxEzQP

The error I am getting is this one:

error.PNG

i only changed the position of the parentheses

2018-06-20_8-53-43.png

Column 2 = IF(LEN(Table1[Flight No Column]) =11, RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 5), CONCATENATE(LEFT(Table1[Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 3))

Yes Nippon is right, the issue is your LEN function needs to return a value before it can be compared to 11.

Thank you both.

My final working code is:

Column 2 = IF((LEN(Table1[Flight No Column]) =11), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 5), CONCATENATE(LEFT(Table1[Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 3)))

The problem is the LEN function. This is what you had in the file you sent:

Column 2 = IF(LEN(Table1[Flight No Column] =11), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 5), CONCATENATE(LEFT(Table1[Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 3))) 

The length (LEN) function needs to return a value before it can be compared to another number. This is how it should be:  

Column 2 = IF(LEN(Table1[Flight No Column]) =11, RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 5), CONCATENATE(LEFT(Table1[Flight No Column], 2), RIGHT(Table1[Flight No Column], 3)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.