Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

corbett3442
Frequent Visitor

I need to add a Year measure/field to dynamic date table

Hello!  I have a data model with multiple fact tables (all with the same start and end dates).  I have successfully created a date table that links to all of them.

When I use a slicer to select a business unit, the tables update as expected.  However , I need to be able to group the rows by relative year as well (instead of just having them show 1 month per row), so I need to create a relative year column/field.

So if I select a business unit with a start date of Feb-2021 I get the following:

2/21Value 1
3/21Value 2
4/21Value 3 
etc 

All I need is another measure or field to add that gives me

2/21year 1value 1
3/21year 1value 2
2/22year 2value 13

I cannot do this in the actual date table because it includes all possible dates for all the business units, so I think I need it to be a measure?

I don't have much experience posting to this forum, so I apologize if I am not posting correctly!

Many thanks,

Jason

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Is there a lot of similarity between your tables for the different business units (i.e., same column names)?  If so, I would suggest you append those tables together in the query editor to simplify your model and your analysis/visualization.  I have seen people do that many times, so have to ask.

As for your post, you can add a calculated column (so you can use the values in category/legend for visuals) like this to get the relative year.  Replace with the table[column] name for your business unit table(s).  If you decide to append your tables, you can still do this but use ALLEXCEPT to get it relative for that business unit).  Let me know and I can send that version if needed.

Relative Year =
VAR yearmin =
    YEAR ( MIN ( Sales[SaleDate] ) )
VAR relyear =
    YEAR ( Sales[SaleDate] ) - yearmin + 1
RETURN
    "Year " & relyear

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks for your help Pat!

Here's the formula I created.  I have gotten an aggregation error on the second variable b/c it did not have min/ max etc. so I added MIN()

Relative Yr =
VAR yearmin = YEAR ( MIN (MonthTable[Date].[Date] ) )
VAR relyear = YEAR ( MIN(MonthTable[Date].[Date]) ) - yearmin +1
RETURN relyear

It does not seem to work, and when I add it to the fact table visual it also includes all of the dates from the date table, not just the first date of the business unit I selected in the slicer.  Any way to have it filter to only include the dates between the star and end dates of the selected business unit?

Thanks

The expression I provided was for a calculated column not a measure.  If you use it on your business unit table(s), it will create a column with Year 1, Year 2, etc. that you can use in visuals.  

If you want a measure, you can use this instead

Relative Yr =
VAR yearmin =
    YEAR (
        CALCULATE ( MIN ( MonthTable[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( MonthTable[Date] ) )
    )
VAR relyear =
    YEAR ( MIN ( MonthTable[Date] ) ) - yearmin + 1
RETURN
    relyear

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks Pat - The code for the measure worked, except for the fact that when I drop it into the table/visual it pulls in all months, including those prior to the first month of the business unit that I selected in the slicer.

My date table is based off of the PropertyAssets table:

Property IDAnalysis BeginAnalysis End
PropA1/1/2021

12/31/2049

PropB1/201512/31/2025

My date table code:

MonthTable =
var FullCalendar = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(min(PropertyAssets[Analysis Begin].[Date]),max(PropertyAssets[Analysis End].[Date])),"Month Number",MONTH([Date]),"Year",YEAR([Date]),"Year-Month",LEFT(FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMdd"),6),"Month Name",FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"),"Year-MonthName",YEAR([Date]) & " " & FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"))
return
SUMMARIZE(FullCalendar,[Month Number],[Year],[Year-Month],[Year-MonthName])

So when I pull the fact tables in with the date table and slice by say Prop A, I get (as expected):

1/1/2021Value1 
2/2021Value 2 

but when I drop in the relative year measure it now shows

DateValueRelative Year
1/1/2015null1
2/1/2015null1
3/1/2015null1

because it is pulling in months from Prop B as well.

Any thoughts as to how to fix this part?

Many thanks for your time...

Jason

It seems as though I have not taken the right approach in setting up my data model, as I am unable to come up with a solution here.  Is it possible to get some consulting from an expert to potentially rework the model so it works with a single date table?

Thanks

Hi @corbett3442 

Could you share a simple data example for me to work on?

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.