Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TimWend1235
Regular Visitor

I have a slicer filtering tables without any relations

Hi there,

I currently have a data set with several tables, including a calender table and a timeintelligence table. As my previous coworker has created this report (who sadly passed away) I need to be working on this report. But I just cannot figure out what is happening, therefore I'm looking for answers here:

The calender table (CT) is related to other data tables. Let us call them DT1, DT2.

DT3 is not related to any other table.

The timeintelligence table on the other hand is not related to any other table in the report either.

Now the information given in the timeintelligence table (2 columns with 3 values each) is used, to be presented within a slicer visual. 

Column acolumn B
D1
m2
y3

The information presented are D,M,Y. Those are supposed to be short cuts for the filtering of date. But due to design restrictions, there is a button navigating to a bookmark saying either D / M / Y, which then is setting an according state for the slicer visual. 

Upon clicking D, the report page is filtered to yesterday, m = current month and y = current year. 

After checking the way, the measures are built, the selection of the slicers values triggers in each measure calculating KPIs for DT3 a switch function, deciding, which way to calculate the KPI and resulting in correct results - there are different columns for different timeframes. Meaning: if i want to recieve value yesterday, i need to calculate with column A, if I want to see value current month i need to calculate value B. The Switch then - depending on selected slicer value - calculates accordingly the needed columns.

So far so good. BUT

Somehow the KPIs for DT1 & DT2 are filtered correctly according to given description as well - even though there are no columns to switch?! The data basis is a whole different way, there are dates which need a date logic, saying that the 21.03.2022 = yesterday. There are no columns that can be used to get that information.

I have double checked multiple times and I cannot find any switch functions or any logics written in either table that explain, why the filtering knows, that D = yesterday, M=current month and Y = current Year. There are no parameters set, there are no calculations within either the CT, DT1 or DT2.

Does anyone have an idea, where this information may be inserted? I'm happy to provide further information if necessary.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You can use Tabular Editor to show the dependencies for your time intelligence table. That should show you all the columns, relationships and measures which depend on the table, hopefully you can track it down from there.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You can use Tabular Editor to show the dependencies for your time intelligence table. That should show you all the columns, relationships and measures which depend on the table, hopefully you can track it down from there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.