Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIAniket

I am trying to make an REST API call from Power BI after change in the values of parameter.

Expectation:

Every time when the report user changes the values of parameters from Power BI filter pane or slicer my report should make an API call and fetch the new data.

Below are the current specification/configuration that I am using:

1. Oracle report service REST Internal API which brings the data from on prem Oracle Database. This API is consist of parameters like: FromDate, ToDate. For example, http://host_server/report?params=&Date.ToText(FromDate_param)&"|"&Dare.ToText(ToDate_param)&.
    Date Parameter format is “yyyymmdd”.
  2. I am using Power BI Web Connector to connect to this JSON API.
  3. I have created Date Dimension tables with FromDate and ToDate date columns.
  4. I bind these columns to parameters - FromDate_param, ToDate_param.
  5. I am using FromDate and ToDate in Filter pane of the report.

Issue:

When user selects new dates from filter pane of the report click on Apply, the data in the report do not get load on the basis of new values selected by the user. Instead, it loads the data based on the default values of the parameter which was set at the time of creation of these parameters.

So basically, the data doesn’t get change when the parameter values are changed by user from power bi report.

Requesting your expertise, suggestions,  help on solution or any workaround to make this happen.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Dynamic query parameters only work with Direct Query data sources. So it would work if you would access the Oracle database directly, but not via the API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.