Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pyb

How to use Power Automate Desktop Flow op Power BI

I would like to trigger a Desktop flow with Power Automate, using the Power Automate visual in Power BI. But I only get the option to use Cloud flows. Is there an option to use desktop flows on PBI?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your only semi viable option for data write back at the moment is to use a PowerApp visual, a data source in direct query mode, and automatic page refresh.  That disqualifies any local data sources, and will require you to have PowerApp licenses for SQL server (for example).  

Another hack is to use Sharepoint lists and powershell shenanigans to sync these with a SQL server table.   Makes the UX worse.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

It is possible to link an 'instant cloud flow' to a Desktop Flow from PBI Power Automate. 

However, this flow is then saved as a Desktop Flow, which can't be opened from PBI. 

So the flow can be created from PBI, but after it can't be opened or edited from PBI anymore.

The only way to execute the flow is to go to the web version of Power Automate, but I want to execute the flow fom PBI, and also fill in the variables from PBI.

You can technically trigger a Desktop flow from a Cloud flow.  The question is still - what are you ultimately trying to achieve? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal is to create a local write back feature. An option to fill in variables from PBI, which is then added to the dataset.

Your only semi viable option for data write back at the moment is to use a PowerApp visual, a data source in direct query mode, and automatic page refresh.  That disqualifies any local data sources, and will require you to have PowerApp licenses for SQL server (for example).  

Another hack is to use Sharepoint lists and powershell shenanigans to sync these with a SQL server table.   Makes the UX worse.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is that just for you or are you planning to roll this out to other users at some point?  Sounds like a solution looking for a problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is just for me. This construction is just a prototype, so problems with rolling out are not a concern.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.