Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update my dashboard for a monthly report from an Excel SharePoint file ?

I have multiple dashboards.

I Get Data from a SharePoint file that is an Excel workbook.

It needs to be updated monthly.

How can I import the new workbook without creating a new query and configuring all the dashboardson where they pull the data from ?

I have dashboards that Get Data from Sharepoint file that's an Excel workbook in July...

Now I need to get updated data from August...not add to the previous month's data...replace the data source.

The monthly reports are store in a SharePoint location.

I use the SharePoint URL for the Gat Data > SharePoint file data source.

The table name that needs to be updated is Monthly Billing.

The columns have the same name for every report.

The reports come in with a different name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

First thing I need to mention here , you are dealing with Reports not Dashboard.
(coz dashboards are created in service  from reports not from the source data)

1. If you want to replace previous month report with current month report, you need to replace the Data source (rows) with latest Data , and refresh pbix file in desktop to take the changes and gives you the latest report.

2. you need to setup an onpremise gateway to handle the schedule refresh to make sure your reports are published time to time based on the intervels you have setup .

Let me know if you are seeking this solution !

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

there are two options how to solve your problem:
1. You will keep only one file on your SharePoint and you replace values directly in this file - and whenever you refresh your report, your data will be updated. This is probably easiest for you at this moment.

2. You will store all Excel Workbooks in a SharePoint Folder , for example June, July, August.... and you will use connection in PBI based on SharePoint Folder. This connection will enable to connect to all files, you have stored there, but also you will have a posibillity to apply dynamic filter in Power Query, that only latest file is used.

I hope this will help you.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

First thing I need to mention here , you are dealing with Reports not Dashboard.
(coz dashboards are created in service  from reports not from the source data)

1. If you want to replace previous month report with current month report, you need to replace the Data source (rows) with latest Data , and refresh pbix file in desktop to take the changes and gives you the latest report.

2. you need to setup an onpremise gateway to handle the schedule refresh to make sure your reports are published time to time based on the intervels you have setup .

Let me know if you are seeking this solution !

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

For Step 1., where do I make that change exactly ?  Could you provide me the steps to accomplish this ?

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can use the PowerBI Desktop or Rest API to change datasource.

1. Open the Advanced Editor in Power Query Editor, then update the Excel name, like this:

vkkfmsft_0-1629085874003.png

image.png

2. Use Power BI Rest API.

Datasets - Update Datasources In Group 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.