Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBI_newuser
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to plot cumulative line graph by product

Hi,

How to plot the cumulated "Hours Diff" start from Time(months)= 1 to 12 by Product_Year as shown in the screenshot below?

Here is the sample.

PBI_newuser_1-1614575033320.png

PBI_newuser_0-1614574926906.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PBI_newuser ,

Sorry for the late response but I got this post lost in the middle of my other replies.

To do this you need to create a new table with the products_year and a target row use this formula:

ProductYEar = CALCULATETABLE(UNION(DISTINCT(Service[Product_Year]) , ROW("Product_Year","Target")), KEEPFILTERS(Service[Product_Year] <> BLANK())
)

Now redo your measure to :

Cumulative Hours  by month = 
SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ProductYEar[Product_Year]),
"Target", 200* MAX(Months[Month]),
COALESCE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Service[Hours Diff] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( Service[Time(months)], Service[Product_Year] ),
            Service[Time(months)] <= MAX ( Months[Month] )
                && Service[Product_Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( ProductYEar[Product_Year] )
        )
    ),
))

Now replace the Product Year on your line chart by the column of the new table create final result below and in attach PBIX file:

MFelix_0-1615541243692.png

Only question you need to be carefull is that isnce the target isd part of your table you need to use the product year from the original table to have as a slicer so that the target line does not dissapear from your chart check result attach.,

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI_newuser ,

I'm looking at your file, and not really getting how is the total values suming up to give you those values, for example in product BBByear 1 you have 3 values that flatten out however that value on your table only correspond to 2 rows so how is the calculation done in order to have 3?

Can you share what are the values each of the calculation should return to have those steps in the chart?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix, sorry for the confusion. The line graph above is just an example and it was not matching with the table below. I would like to plot a line chart as shown in the screenshot below. Thanks.

PBI_newuser_0-1614645719685.png

Hi @PBI_newuser ,

You need to create a disconnected table with the months I created the following table:

Months = GENERATESERIES(1, 12, 1)

Now add the following measure:

COALESCE (
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
                && Service[Product_Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( Service[Product_Year] )
        )
    ),
)

Now setup your chart with the Months from the table we created on the x-axis.

See result below and in attach file.

MFelix_0-1614678164851.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix , thank you for the solution! 

May I know how to add one cumulative target line in the chart?

Sample as below. 

PBI_newuser_0-1614757040100.png

Sorry once again were is that cumulative values coming from? I cannotr identify the values you present on the table.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix , sorry again for the confusion. The cumulative target is not in the pbix file I shared earlier. But I would like to add the target line with the formula "200* time(months)". I am not sure how to do it. 

PBI_newuser_0-1614829558204.png

Hi @PBI_newuser ,

Sorry for the late response but I got this post lost in the middle of my other replies.

To do this you need to create a new table with the products_year and a target row use this formula:

ProductYEar = CALCULATETABLE(UNION(DISTINCT(Service[Product_Year]) , ROW("Product_Year","Target")), KEEPFILTERS(Service[Product_Year] <> BLANK())
)

Now redo your measure to :

SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ProductYEar[Product_Year]),
"Target", 200* MAX(Months[Month]),
COALESCE (
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
                && Service[Product_Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( ProductYEar[Product_Year] )
        )
    ),
))

Now replace the Product Year on your line chart by the column of the new table create final result below and in attach PBIX file:

MFelix_0-1615541243692.png

Only question you need to be carefull is that isnce the target isd part of your table you need to use the product year from the original table to have as a slicer so that the target line does not dissapear from your chart check result attach.,

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @PBI_newuser ,

Since your line chart uses the ‘Legend’ label, you cannot add another measure to the ‘Values’ label.
You can create two line charts and set the background color of one of the line charts to transparent and make the two line charts overlap.

Please refer to the .pbix file.

v-lionel-msft_1-1615534278540.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lionel-msft , thanks for the suggestion. However, if i take out "CCC Year3" and "DDD Year1" from "Product_Year" field, the cumulative target line seems to be incorrect on the chart as the axis range of the Cumulative hours chart has changed. 

For example, in the second month, cumulative target should be 400 but it shows below 200 on the chart as the axis of Cumulative target chart will not change with the Cumulative hours chart.

PBI_newuser_0-1615538720568.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.