Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zhuowei
Frequent Visitor

How to pick a date and retrieve the result from Azure SQL

Hello, I'm new to the Power BI.

Is it possible in Power bI to build a report where I can pick a date (just as what I do in the power query editor) and get the result/graphs of that date? The data source is Azure SQL. Since the volume of data is massive and updating constantly, it is not a good idea to load all the data to the Power BI.

Parameter.png

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try the following slicer? It allows you to select a date range. If you want to select a single date, the workaround is to use the same vaule of start day and end day.

2018-08-02_14-01-28.png

Hello Jessica, thanks for your reply.

I have tried the slicer. I could get the graph of one specific date (for example 13/07/2018) after I loaded the data to PowerBI.

Untitled.png

But when I select another date, for example 05/07/2018, there is no graph showing up since I haven't loaded the data of 05/07/2018 to PowerBI. What I want to achieve is: the user select a date on the report, then the PowerBI can automatically retrieve the data from Azure SQL. The user will get the relevant graphs without the need to load the data first. Do you have the idea on this issue? Thank you.

Untitled.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the screenshot, I think you are using Import mode in Power BI for connecting data source. In Import mode, Power BI makes a copy of data from source server and stores the data in local. All reports are generated based on the local data, not from the orignial data source. 

If you want PowerBI do analysis based on live data retrieve from Azure SQL, you need to use DirectQuery mode to connect Azure SQL. You can find details regarding Import mode and DirectQuery from the following doc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.