Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jos818
Frequent Visitor

How to make tooltip appear only on a specific column in a matrix/table - Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I have a matrix built and only want the tooltip to appear when the user hovers only inside the 'Status' column.

The table is at customer level so the contents of the tooltip will show only their information once activated.

Customer_IDStatusAgeGender
100001VIP46M
100002non VIP34F
100003VIP39F

Can you assist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jos818
Frequent Visitor

Hi dk_dk, I'd managed to use modern tooltips to get around this. In addition to right click to make the selection the user can simply just hover on the visual to make the selection. by following your method to block the editing portion of the visual makes this ideal. thanks 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lhassett
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have achieved similar functionality recently by using the new preview feature "On Object Interaction". You first have to enable this under Options and restart power bi desktop.

lhassett_1-1697121600110.png

Be warned though this will change the UI of Power BI Desktop but only for you, not others.

Then create a new page and under canvas settings change the Page Type to Tooltip - this will then present you with an entry area where you can add data to show your tooltip on. This accepts measures and columns as shown below 

lhassett_0-1697121517913.png

Then when you hover over the column/measure specified in a report page it should show your tooltip page

Could this solve your problem?

dk_dk
Super User
Super User

Hi @jos818 ,

I do not think it is possible to do that with a setting. A workaround I found is that you could "cover" the other columns with a transparent text box, and then only hovering over the status column will trigger the tooltip to show.

The downside of this is that you would not be able to click on the values in other columns. and if your data changes and you resize the table you will need to resize the text boxes that cover the columns.

Note the outline of the textboxes. When the cursor is above the other columns, no tooltip shows.
dk_dk_0-1697103412210.png
Not a  very elegant solution imo but maybe it works for your use case?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

jos818
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately the user will need to have the capability to sort on the other columns. How about a slight variation? when the user click onto the cell inside 'Status' column it then navigates to the tooltip page displaying only the associated customer ID information? 

If you set it up exactly like the screenshot, then sorting will still work (the column headers are not covered by the textboxes). In fact, the table is sorted by the first column in the screenshot. Filters, slicers, etc... will also properly affect your table visual. The only issue that could come up is if the columns or the table changes its size over time, in which case you need to resize the blocker textboxes to keep blocking the correct area.

The alternative you are proposing is a drillthrough, which can work but first you would need to click on a row in the table to make the selection, and then you would need to either right click and select drilltrhough in the menu, or add a drillthrough navigation button on the page to click on. Also a rather cumbersome solution.

As far as I am aware, there is no way to set up drillthrough with a single click into a table cell.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

jos818
Frequent Visitor

Hi dk_dk, I'd managed to use modern tooltips to get around this. In addition to right click to make the selection the user can simply just hover on the visual to make the selection. by following your method to block the editing portion of the visual makes this ideal. thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.