Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

emme1995

How to make an overflowing chart list continue below instead of on the next page - Report Builder

Hello everybody,

I have a list of charts that I want to display. I want this list to continue below on the same page instead of on the next page (the remaining space on the page is enough). The following image shows what I get.

emme1995_0-1715675962039.png

While the next image shows what I want to achieve

emme1995_1-1715676071324.png

I have tried modifying the various Tablix properties but to no avail. The data format is a 4x1 matrix with the graph in the last row and the graph data in the 'Column groups' section.

emme1995_2-1715676132687.png

Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
jla_92
Regular Visitor

Hi,
I have the same problem and it seems not so straight forward to solve. I have tried the solutions above without success.
To simplify everything, I have created a new report, with a simple matrix.
The matrix has a column group "Windfarm ID" and a value (Count of Turbines).

jla_92_0-1715969359744.png

jla_92_1-1715969445728.png

The goal is that the Matrix displays as many columns -one for each Windfarm ID as it can fit in the page width. When the limit is reached, it should jump to the next available space under the table, and AVOID jumping to the next page. 

When I execute the code, it generates the following: 

jla_92_2-1715969625389.png

Which initially looks good, but the problem is when I visualize the page layout: only two values fit. The empty space below the first row is not used, and instead, it jumps to the next page.

jla_92_3-1715969667330.png

The expected result would be the following: 

jla_92_4-1715969902115.png

So far, i have tried to use all possible settings with the page break parameters without success. Is there any other alternative?

Bmejia
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

There is a limit on the page layout.  You only allow to fit base on the paper size your going to print.  What i usually do if i need to print a report that is going to have lots of columns is to change my report properties, from portrait to landscape and change all the margins to the lowest settings your printer can print which is usually around .05 in my case.  That will give you extra space to work on.  Also change the font of your report to smaller font.   Also you can make everything smaller if you have visuals.  There is alot of playing around that has to occur during the design phase.

I think in your case make your matrix column narrow, even if you do not see the datasource fields, they still be there.

The last option is that this is done by the user when they download the file to excel they can do the page setup there.

The problem is not the size, neither the limit of the page. The problem is that it jumps to the NEXT PAGE, instead of taking the space below in the SAME PAGE. 
I want to force it to use the space below.

Bmejia
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Check the graphs or tables where there is a break that there is no start or end breaks.  Make sure you expand the view as below else will look like there is no page break while looking at it.  It should be none if you don't wanted to have any pagebreaks for all visual.

Bmejia_0-1715713990498.png

Hello Bmejia and thynk you for your answer.

I already tried it and it didn't work. I really don't get where the error is.

emme1995_0-1715852344643.png

emme1995_1-1715852498938.png

When I generate my sample reports with graphs and none of my graphs have a page break I do not get the option to go to the next page.   if your data is enclosed inside other matrix then is possible that is set to move to the next page, sort of when you work with headers.  I even made the graphs larger and they are still on the same page.

Bmejia_0-1715873409261.png

If you are seeing this in Print Layout then that is different you will need to adjust the data to fit the size of your page meaning making them smaller and that they are not outside the margins.

Sorry can help you much,  I though maybe you had a page break that was causing it to move to next page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.