Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hayleysea
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to handle very complex IF statement

Hi there,

Here is my problem:

I have form that submits values into a table which is then used as my data source. This form has 50+ variables and not all of them will be filled in in any one submission. I need to produce a visualisation that lists each submission and only has values that aren't blank. Because there are so many variables the only way I can think of is to write an if statement for every possible combination of non blank values to bring into my visual in a calculated column.

Is there a better way to do this?

Example:

IDV1V2V3V4V5V6V7
A1  11  
B1111 1 

Visual:

A

V1: 1

V4: 1

V5: 1

B

V1: 1

V2: 1

V3: 1

V4: 1

V6: 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hayleysea
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thanks @v-easonf-msft  and @amitchandak for your responses. 

The way I have ended up doing it is to instead use if statements that look for blank values, and if it's blank then to show nothing (""), if theres a value then add it in. For example 

Combinevalues(" ", If(isblank([v1]), "", "V1: " & [v1] & unichar(10) & unichar(10)),  If(isblank([v2]), "", "V2: " & [v2]& unichar(10) & unichar(10)) etc. )

This is working to meet my needs, I just had to repeat it for each column in my calculated column

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Hayleysea
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thanks @v-easonf-msft  and @amitchandak for your responses. 

The way I have ended up doing it is to instead use if statements that look for blank values, and if it's blank then to show nothing (""), if theres a value then add it in. For example 

Combinevalues(" ", If(isblank([v1]), "", "V1: " & [v1] & unichar(10) & unichar(10)),  If(isblank([v2]), "", "V2: " & [v2]& unichar(10) & unichar(10)) etc. )

This is working to meet my needs, I just had to repeat it for each column in my calculated column

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Hayleysea 

As mentioned by @amitchandak , you can use function "unpivot"  in  query editor.

14.png

15.png

16.png

sample pbix attached

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Hayleysea, If V1 to V7 some member of a dimension, you can unpivot it

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi
Transpose: https://yodalearning.com/tutorials/power-query-helps-transposing-data/

And use as Dimension/reference Table

Or If they are measure or columns, You can Use Show on Row in Matrix .

Refer :

https://www.burningsuit.co.uk/blog/2019/04/7-secrets-of-the-matrix-visual/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.