Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maiios
Frequent Visitor

How to graph the instances of a column of dates?

I swear I have done this a dozen times, and am not sure why its not working right now.

I have a date table, and a table with a datetime column. I changed the type of the datetime column to 'date', and made a relationship between the date table and that column. The date table looks like the following. 

Dates2 = 
VAR BaseCalendar = 
    CALENDARAUTO()
RETURN 
    GENERATE(
        BaseCalendar,
        VAR BaseDate = [Date]
        VAR YearDate = YEAR( BaseDate )
        VAR MonthNumber = Month( BaseDate )
        RETURN ROW (
            "Day", BaseDate,
            "Year", YearDate,
            "Month Number", MonthNumber,
            "Month", FORMAT( BaseDate, "mmm"),
            "Year Month", FORMAT( BaseDate, "yy-mm" ),
            "Year Week", YEAR ( BaseDate ) & FORMAT(WEEKNUM ( BaseDate, 2 ),"00") 
        )
    )

I created a measure to count the instances of each date. The relationship is active, but I did USERELATIONSHIP to be pedantic. 

Created count = CALCULATE(COUNT('Case'[CreatedDate]), USERELATIONSHIP(Dates2[Date], 'Case'[CreatedDate]))

However, there seems to be an issue with the relationship. When I try to use the data, it doesn't seem to relate.

maiios_0-1608660131957.png

How do I troubleshoot this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Generally the dimensional column should be used as the first column in a table (if you care about the join type)

Also, instead of changing the display type of CreatedDate you can try to create a calculated column from it, throwing away the time part and keeping only the date part. Then change your relationship to that column.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Generally the dimensional column should be used as the first column in a table (if you care about the join type)

Also, instead of changing the display type of CreatedDate you can try to create a calculated column from it, throwing away the time part and keeping only the date part. Then change your relationship to that column.

I really don't understand why it worked when I basically transformed the data into a string, and then back to a date, but it did. Seems like it should have worked when I just changed the column type, but oh well. 

Thanks for the help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.