Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

erg2494
Frequent Visitor

How to get running total using a Dynamic Measure

Hello,

I would like to create a running total but use a measure as a starting point. This measure is updated every day. PLease see example below. Is this possible? 

For example:

starting_measure = 10

(this changes each day, so I would like for the running total for TODAY to reflect that) 

Date | col A | col B | TOTAL Daily Movement | Running Totals

3/25      1         2               3                                13

3/26       2       2                4                                17

3/27       1        1               2                                19

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @erg2494 , 

Please refer to my pbix file to see if it helps you.

Create a measure.

Measure = CALCULATE([starting_measure]+SUM('Table'[Total Daily Movement]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]<=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[date])))

vpollymsft_1-1648517506132.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy information and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @erg2494 , 

Please refer to my pbix file to see if it helps you.

Create a measure.

Measure = CALCULATE([starting_measure]+SUM('Table'[Total Daily Movement]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]<=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[date])))

vpollymsft_1-1648517506132.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy information and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thank you so much. this worked for me. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Don't use the term "measure" - it has a different meaning in Power BI.

Where does your dynamic value come from? is your data source in import mode or in direct query mode?

the dynamic value is the sum of other columns from different datasets. I don't want to include these columns into my current matrix. I simply want to use that sum (measure I created on the visual page) as the starting point for the running total. 

my data source is in import mode. 

hope that helps and isn't too confusing. I'm a new Power BI user. 

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. If you paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services it will be easier to assist you. Avoid posting screenshots of your source data if possible.

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.