Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mansonwy
Regular Visitor

How to get Workspace metadata in PowerBI

As shown below, this is the usual table we can see once we enter any workspace. 
Is there anyway other than using API to 'Get data' in Powerbi? 
If no, please let me know how I may call the API by using python. Thanks a lot with the help!!!!!!!!

mansonwy_0-1714720213441.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bipin-Lala
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @mansonwy,

To get the Workspace Metadata and other Power BI Tenant Catalog data, you would have to make use of Power BI REST APIs in one way or another.

Means you can call the APIs in multiple ways, like using Python as you mentioned, or even calling the API directly in Power BI using Web connector in Get Data. You can also make use of PowerShell cmdlets.

The Get Group API would be the starting API to help you in getting the data. (use the Try It section in the documentation page to see what data it returns for your workspace) Please follow the links below that detail the steps needed to connect to Power BI APIs and get data.

You should be able to find numerous blogs and videos that should help you in getting started with using Power BI APIs.

PS: You would require appropriate permissions to access APIs or app registrations with appropriate permissions and access to Power BI read-only admin APIs.

At our place, we are making use of app registrations along with PowerShell scripts to fetch Power BI Tenant activity and catalog data.

Let me know if you need any further help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bipin-Lala
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @mansonwy,

To get the Workspace Metadata and other Power BI Tenant Catalog data, you would have to make use of Power BI REST APIs in one way or another.

Means you can call the APIs in multiple ways, like using Python as you mentioned, or even calling the API directly in Power BI using Web connector in Get Data. You can also make use of PowerShell cmdlets.

The Get Group API would be the starting API to help you in getting the data. (use the Try It section in the documentation page to see what data it returns for your workspace) Please follow the links below that detail the steps needed to connect to Power BI APIs and get data.

You should be able to find numerous blogs and videos that should help you in getting started with using Power BI APIs.

PS: You would require appropriate permissions to access APIs or app registrations with appropriate permissions and access to Power BI read-only admin APIs.

At our place, we are making use of app registrations along with PowerShell scripts to fetch Power BI Tenant activity and catalog data.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks so much @Bipin-Lala !! Unfortunately, due to security issue I can only access to below. I do not have the access for tenant.all. However according to the scope of Microsoft Learn https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/capacities/get-refreshables#code-try-0 it should be ok. But I am still having Error 401. 

mansonwy_0-1714988964751.png

Hi @mansonwy,

To make use of Service Principal Authentication for accessing Power BI APIs such as Capacities - Get Refreshables, you would have to configure certain settings in the Power BI Admin Portal so that Service Principal can access Power BI read-only APIs. The permissions granted in the Azure Portal do not work and will have to be removed.

The steps are explained in detail here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/read-only-apis-service-principal-authenticatio...

Get Refreshables are also part of the APIs list documented in the above link.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.