Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

VladyOselsky
Frequent Visitor

How to filter records in DAX based on MAX Date

Hello,

I have a table that stores transaction data regarding items recieved/sold. Depending on selected date I need to filter that table to only the latest record to know what is Total Quantity I have and then calculate number of days it took to sell an Item. 

VladyOselsky_0-1691066220315.png

I'm not sure if it is more appropriate to use a measure or create new table that is filtered? I looked into using TOPN however I'm not getting right data back. I know that I need to calculate MAX(Transaction Date) for each Item and then get record corresponding to that date, however I'm not sure how to proceed forward.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@VladyOselsky , Try measure

LASTNONBLANKvalue(Table[Date],Sum(Total[Qty]))

or

calculate(LASTNONBLANKvalue(Table[Date],Sum(Total[Qty])), filter(allselected(Table), Table[Item] = max(Table[Item])))

@amitchandak That function did not work for me, I ended up creating 3 different measures to produce results that I was looking for but I'm not sure if there a way to optimize them to make it more straight forward.

First Measure just gets me max date from my Calendar table that is used as a slicer

MaxSelectedDate = MAX('Calendar'[Date])

Second Measure gets max date for each item id to be able to get the record I need

MaxItemDate =
VAR _md = [MaxSelectedDate]
VAR _ret =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( TransactionRecords[TransactionDate] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( TransactionRecords, TransactionRecords[ItemID] ),
TransactionRecords[TransactionDate] <= _md
)
RETURN
_ret

Third measure finally return the "Last" value. by filtering the TransactionRecords to specific date

MaxQuantity =
VAR maxD = [MaxItemDate]
VAR _value =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( TransactionRecords[Quantity] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( TransactionRecords, TransactionRecords[ItemID] ),
TransactionRecords[TransactionDate] = maxD
)
RETURN
_value

I was able to spot check and results are correct but it only works if I use ItemID column in a table, If I try to use different column like vendor id to try to summarize by vendor it breaks my logic.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.