Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Donny620
Helper I
Helper I

How to duplicate this Excel table in PBI?

Hi!  I have data that looks like this where each row is a unit (# 1 - 3) , when it left inventory and how long it was in inventoy, and what subtype of unit it is (Type A or Type B). 

2.png

This data is pivoted in Excel to produce a table where you can easily see the aging in inventory of each type across time.

1.png

 If I try to duplicate this in PBI the closest I can get is:

3.png

 1.) I tried to use conditional formatting with red, yellow, green but it looks really ugly.  Is there a way to get closer to Excel?

2) Bigger issue is: how would I go about creating the sub column (Type under Unit) as in the Excel screenshot?

Also, given what I'm trying to do, if there is a PBI visualzation that you think would do a better job of displaying aging over time by type please let me know.

PS: I tried to just updload the Excel and PBI files but I can't see how to do that, if it's possible just let me know.  

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vicky_
Super User
Super User

For the colours, it should be easy enough to change the colours used in the conditional fomatting so that it uses red-green instead of orange. And maybe consider adding a middle colour if you need more control over the colours. 

vicky__1-1686611348022.png

And for your second issue, you can drag more than one dimension into the columns of a matrix visual - so as long as you have the type in the raw data, just put that under the Unit dimension and click on expand all levels down a level on the actual visual

vicky__2-1686611416801.png

vicky__3-1686611438462.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vicky_
Super User
Super User

For the colours, it should be easy enough to change the colours used in the conditional fomatting so that it uses red-green instead of orange. And maybe consider adding a middle colour if you need more control over the colours. 

vicky__1-1686611348022.png

And for your second issue, you can drag more than one dimension into the columns of a matrix visual - so as long as you have the type in the raw data, just put that under the Unit dimension and click on expand all levels down a level on the actual visual

vicky__2-1686611416801.png

vicky__3-1686611438462.png

Thanks for your help! Actually I marked this as solved but did not realize there was one more criteria that the PBI Matrix wasn't doing. In the Excel table the conditional formatting gradiant is done per column.  But if I try to format the matrix as specified above, it does a gradiant for every cell.  Is there a way do have each sub column (the Type column and the total columns) be indepent in it's formatting?

E.g. this is what I see in PBI

Donny620_0-1686772079763.png

This is what I want in PBI:

Donny620_1-1686772093690.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.