Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike282
Helper III
Helper III

How to display a grand total and a filtered total in the same bar chart.

Hi Power BI users

I was wondering if someone can help me with a visualisation problem. I'm trying to visualise some survey questions and the structure of these questions are quite simple in that they are a 5 point likert type question which I'll visualise in a column chart. The complication comes in that associated with the survey questions is also a question asking what area or location each respondent is from. My Business Analyst would like to see in a single column chart total respondent answers for an individual question against a answers to that same question whilst filtered by a specific area. See attached image, I've created two column charts for total response values for question 1 along with total response values for question 1 filtered by Area 2. They would like to see both of them in the same column chart side by side. What method could I use to do this?

Survey example.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IanSwanepoel
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

My reccomendation would be to either create a measure for both, and then display them as values.
m_Total = COUNT(Q1_Answer)
m_Area2 = Calculate(Count(Q1_Answer),Filter(All(Q1_Table),'Q1_Table'[Area] = "Area 2"))

Alternatively you could create a seperate table which is what I had to do with a recent questionnaire based project of mine... but that's a bit tricky so hopefully this works.

Kind Regards,
Ian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
IanSwanepoel
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

My reccomendation would be to either create a measure for both, and then display them as values.
m_Total = COUNT(Q1_Answer)
m_Area2 = Calculate(Count(Q1_Answer),Filter(All(Q1_Table),'Q1_Table'[Area] = "Area 2"))

Alternatively you could create a seperate table which is what I had to do with a recent questionnaire based project of mine... but that's a bit tricky so hopefully this works.

Kind Regards,
Ian

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mike282,

Maybe you could add [Area] field to chart X-axis to create a drill down report. Alternatively, you should create measures to get results of "Question1 filter by Area 2" and "Question1 filter by Area 1", then add measures to the fisrt chart.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.