Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhilSmith
Helper I
Helper I

How to create table measure to return results equivalent to Table Visual (Groupby?)

There a lot of tables involved in this, and it would be pretty hairy to get into all of the relationships here.  I have everything doing what I want in a table visual, so perhaps I will not need relationship details.

My table visual consists of three fields.  Customer[CustomerName], BrandCat[BrandCat], and Sales[BC-Goals Met]  You can ignore Sale.

BC-Goals-Met = CALCULATE(if(Sales[Sale]>50,"MET","UnMet"))  

Sale = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Ext_Price]),FILTER(Sales,Sales[Open_Sale]= "Sale"))

BC-Goals Met only makes sense in the context of each Customer and BrandCat combination.

Grouped by Customer and BrandCat, BC-Goals-Met is perfect, but the table visual below is doing the grouping.  Now I need a measure that returns a table of those same specific BC-Goals-Met, so that I can count the Met, UnMet, and total number of entries.

I think GROUPBY is the key here, but I am not sure how to apply it.

I am looking for something that would return BC-Goals-Met, as a table, idealy one that would return CustomerName, BrandCat, and BC-Goals-Met just like the visual.

PhilSmith_0-1645484101784.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@PhilSmith This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

The pattern is:
MinScoreMeasure = MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
MaxScoreMeasure = MAXX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
AvgScoreMeasure = AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
etc.

Note, you can use GROUPBY in place of SUMMARIZE, depends on the need.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@PhilSmith This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

The pattern is:
MinScoreMeasure = MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
MaxScoreMeasure = MAXX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
AvgScoreMeasure = AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
etc.

Note, you can use GROUPBY in place of SUMMARIZE, depends on the need.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.