Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Quentin_Ernesti
Regular Visitor

How to create a Cohort analysis based on the arrival date?

Hi all!

So, I have two tables : one called "Clients" and another called "Interventions". "Clients" is simply the list of my customers, and "Interventions" is a list of all the shifts that the customers (the "Clients") bought.

"Clients" contains :

• a column called "Date 1er Contact" which is a date that tells me when did we first heard about this customer
  • a column called "ID Client" that gives me the ID of the Client

"Interventions" contains: 

• a column called "Date" giving me the date of the shift
  • a column called "ID AT Client" that tells me which customer bought the shift

Obviously, the two tables contain more information but I don't think it's relevant, and they are obviously linked with one another thanks to the "ID Client" and "ID AT Client".

Now, what I want, is a cohort analysis that tells me my customer retention on a monthly basis based on when I first heard about them. I consider them "retained" if they made at least one purchase of a shift in the month considered.

To tell you the full story, I successfully did it by considering a Client in the cohort of the month of his first "Intervention" purchased. But it is not perfect because I actually want to link it with say for instance my Google Ads campaigns, and sometimes my customers get in touch with us in January, but end up buying their first shift in March! And that could lead to false interpretation. So I really want to be able to get it based on the first time we heard about them (the "Date 1er Contact") basis.

To clarify then, for a customer arrived in January but who bought Interventions from March to May, the table would look like :

Month 0Month 1Month 2Month 3Month 4
2024-0100111

Any idea on how to do that?

I m losing hope! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Quentin_Ernesti ,

I made simple samples and you can check the results below:

vtianyichmsft_0-1706770386463.png

Count = 
var _t = SUMMARIZE('Interventions',[Date],[Date 1er Contact],[ID AT Client])
var _t2 = ADDCOLUMNS(_t,"Count",COUNTAX(FILTER(_t,[Date 1er Contact]=EARLIER([Date 1er Contact])),[Date]<=[Date 1er Contact]))
RETURN MAXX(_t2,[Count])

An attachment for your reference. Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Quentin_Ernesti
Regular Visitor

Thanks, I know it is definitely possible because I have seen it elsewhere, but I shall wait for someone else's help. 🙂
Thanks again tho !

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Quentin_Ernesti ,

I made simple samples and you can check the results below:

vtianyichmsft_0-1706770386463.png

Count = 
var _t = SUMMARIZE('Interventions',[Date],[Date 1er Contact],[ID AT Client])
var _t2 = ADDCOLUMNS(_t,"Count",COUNTAX(FILTER(_t,[Date 1er Contact]=EARLIER([Date 1er Contact])),[Date]<=[Date 1er Contact]))
RETURN MAXX(_t2,[Count])

An attachment for your reference. Hope it helps!

Best regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-tianyich-msft !

Thank you so much for your answer, however it was not exactly what I wanted, and I was wondering if you could help me get it to the finish line.

What I wanted was that in the columns of the matrix, I have Month 0, Month 1, etc., and not the months.

Let me put here again my table with some information added.
Customer A : arrived in January and bought Interventions from March to May

Customer B : arrived in January and bought Interventions from January to April

Customer C : arrived in February and bought Interventions from February to May

Here is what the table would look like :

Month 0Month 1Month 2Month 3Month 4
2024-0211110
2024-0111221

While your table would give me this if I understood it correctly :

JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMay
A00111
B11110
C01111

As you can see, the results are very different.

I tried to find a solution from what you already did but it feels like I am missing something, maybe a measure to get those columns looking indeed like "Month 0", "Month 1", etc. ?

Any ideas ? 

Thanks !

Hi @Quentin_Ernesti ,

Month 0, month 1, seems to be hard to define because for different people, their month 0 doesn't seem to be the same time. I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.