Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hamishinglis

How to connect to on premises datasets

Hi we have a local power BI report server with a group of datasets. I can open these datasets in SSRS report builder and they work fine. I have the latest Power BI desktop ( may 2020 ).

I can open reports from this server ( coz it asks me where to look ).

I can connect directly to the SQL server on this same server and it works fine.

I cannot open ( of find ) the PowerBI Datasets on the server.

I have logged into Power BI with my domain account and all is fine. When I try and connect to PowerBI datasets it gives me "Select a dataset to create a report" and the wait circle for ever... No Error ... nothing.

I have registered the server in SSRS config with PowerBI cloud ( even though i should not need to I don't think, because i don't really want a Hybrid cloud solution i just want all PowerBI reports to come from our local Datasets ). 

It never asks me where to find the Dataset? So how does it know where to look? Do you HAVE to go through the cloud to reach a Dataset on a local PowerBI server?

I am obviously doing something very wrong, but it seems crazy that i can't connect to my on premises Dataset.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks

Hamish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @hamishinglis ,

Thanks for choosing Power BI and sorry for that your requirement can't be implemented now. Power BI will be better in the future.

Please accept your answer as solution and others who have the same questions will find the answer quickly. They will benefit from this thread. Thanks!😉

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hamishinglis

I think I answered my own question.. Oh Microsoft why do you beseech me!

on prem - vs - service 😞

hamishinglis_0-1601486785739.png

Hi @hamishinglis ,

Thanks for choosing Power BI and sorry for that your requirement can't be implemented now. Power BI will be better in the future.

Please accept your answer as solution and others who have the same questions will find the answer quickly. They will benefit from this thread. Thanks!😉

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.