Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BaptisteAnge
Frequent Visitor

How to combine values on the X-Axis

Hi everyone,

Consider this table (simplified for a better explanation) :
MyEntities:

Year_OpeningYear_ClosingState

null    Open   
2015    null    Open
2014    null    Open
2014    2016    Close
2013    2015    Close
2015    null    Open
2016    2017    Close

As you can guess, Year_Opening is the year when the entity opened and cannot be null, Year_Closing is the year when the entity closed (if it closed) and can be null, and State is equal to "Open" if Year_Closing is null and to "Close" if there is a value in Year_Closing.

I was to asked to do a reporting that shows for every year the number of entities that has opened and closed and then the cumulative value, so I created this measures :

Count_Open = 
COUNTX(
    FILTER(
        MyEntities,
        MyEntities[State] = "Open"
    ),
    MyEntities[State]
)

Count_Close = 
COUNTX(
    FILTER(
        MyEntities,
        MyEntities[State] = "Close"
    ),
    MyEntities[State]
)

Cumul_Open =
CALCULATE(
    [Count_Open],
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED(MyEntities[Year_Opening]),
        MyEntities[Year_Opening] <= MAX(MyEntities[Year_Opening])
    )
)

Cumul_Close =
CALCULATE(
    [Count_Close],
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED(MyEntities[Year_Closing]),
        MyEntities[Year_Closing] <= MAX(MyEntities[Year_Closing])
    )
)

My problem is:

I want to display those two by two (counts together and cumuls together) in two separate charts, but when I add Year_Opening and Year_Closing to the x-axis, instead of combine (using my example having a scale from 2012 to 2017), the values of both follows each other (so my scale on x-axis looks like (2012, ..., 2015, 2016, 2015, 2016, 2017).

Thank for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your solution didn't work, but I managed to do something.

I combined the two year columns into one, and added a calculated "Event" column. So, after transformation, the table (if I take the same as my first example) looks like this:

YearEvent
2012Opening
2015Opening
2014Opening
2014Opening
2013Opening
2015Opening
2016Opening
2015Closing
2016Closing
2017Closing

We can then easily measure the number of openings and closings, and deduce the number of open entities by doing something like number_Open = [number_Opening] - [number_Closing], and we have now a single column to put on the X-Axis.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

It seems like you want to display the counts and cumulative values of entities that opened and closed over the years on separate charts while having a consistent and combined X-axis scale. To achieve this in Power BI, you can use a few calculated tables and DAX measures.

Create two separate tables for Year_Opening and Year_Closing:

Create a new table for Year_Opening:

Year_Opening_Table =
UNION(
SELECTCOLUMNS(MyEntities, "Year", MyEntities[Year_Opening]),
SELECTCOLUMNS(MyEntities, "Year", MyEntities[Year_Closing])
)

1. Create a relationship between Year_Opening_Table and MyEntities using the "Year" column in both tables.

2. Create a "Type" column in Year_Opening_Table to distinguish between "Open" and "Close" years. You can use the following DAX formula:

Type = IF(ISBLANK([Year]), "Close", "Open")

1. Create two measures for Count and Cumulative values for "Open" and "Close" separately:

Count_Open = COUNTROWS( FILTER( Year_Opening_Table, Year_Opening_Table[Type] = "Open" ) )

Count_Close = COUNTROWS( FILTER( Year_Opening_Table, Year_Opening_Table[Type] = "Close" ) )

Cumul_Open = CALCULATE( [Count_Open], FILTER( ALLSELECTED(Year_Opening_Table[Year]), Year_Opening_Table[Year] <= MAX(Year_Opening_Table[Year]) ), Year_Opening_Table[Type] = "Open" )

Cumul_Close = CALCULATE( [Count_Close], FILTER( ALLSELECTED(Year_Opening_Table[Year]), Year_Opening_Table[Year] <= MAX(Year_Opening_Table[Year]) ), Year_Opening_Table[Type] = "Close" )

2. Create two separate charts for "Open" and "Close" counts and cumulative values. Use the "Year" column from the Year_Opening_Table for the X-axis in both charts.

Now, when you add Year_Opening and Year_Closing to the X-axis, they should follow a consistent combined scale from 2012 to 2017, and the values for "Open" and "Close" will be displayed separately in their respective charts.

By creating a Year_Opening_Table and using the "Type" column, you can ensure that the X-axis scale remains consistent across both charts while allowing you to filter and display counts and cumulative values separately based on the "Open" and "Close" states.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Your solution didn't work, but I managed to do something.

I combined the two year columns into one, and added a calculated "Event" column. So, after transformation, the table (if I take the same as my first example) looks like this:

YearEvent
2012Opening
2015Opening
2014Opening
2014Opening
2013Opening
2015Opening
2016Opening
2015Closing
2016Closing
2017Closing

We can then easily measure the number of openings and closings, and deduce the number of open entities by doing something like number_Open = [number_Opening] - [number_Closing], and we have now a single column to put on the X-Axis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.