Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

spandana
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate the uptime for incidents

Hello Everyone, I have been trying to calculate the MTBF ( Mean time between failures ).

I have 3 columns, the Incident ID, the type of alert, and the downtime.

Below is the sample.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.01.37 PM.png

How do I calculate the uptime? I also have 2 columns start date and end date of these incidents.

Any help would be really appriciated

5 REPLIES 5
viviank
Resolver I
Resolver I

You need to use the start and end date/time of the incidents. You need to add that to your model.

The time between failures is the difference between the end of the first incident, and the start of the next one.

Getting the difference between the 2 rows can be tricky, but you should be able to do this in the Power Query Editor - you can use the technique here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/time-difference-between-2-rows/td-p/226755

Hello,

What is happening is my uptime is coming in negative sometimes. Not sure what I need to do.

It may not be sorting correctly. Check if the table is sorted chronologically.

spandana
Frequent Visitor

Hello, the units are in decimal which represents fraction of days. What I am trying to calculate is the MTBF. I have calculated the uptime - not able to get the values for the MTBF

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @spandana 

It’s not clear what unit your downtime is, and what you want to calculate for each incident id or type of alert? Please explain more details.

vjaneygmsft_0-1627031302225.png

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.