Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KimmoS

How to build a search from a longer string?

Hello!

I have a large amount of rows containing this kind of five char substrings and I would like to create a text search in a visualisation to search for example all rows (row_id) containing for example string WX000. 
The number of rows is 3M so I would need a text box where a user could type a substring(s), he/she is interested in.

Is it possible to build a search like that?

KimmoS_0-1703688513976.png

With Regards,
Kimmo Sivonen

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Please try the visual called "Text Filter".

vstephenmsft_0-1675928449275.png

View solution in original post

speedramps
Super User
Super User

You can do it by downloading a Text search slicer. Learn how here

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/databrotherssro1596013704866.dbi_text...

However, I suspect each of your records has comma delimited tags?

For example, with a Product name the and Tags

TV, speaker, screen, aerial, remote

Radio, aerial, speaker, LCD display

Phone, aerial, speaker, screen

It is best practice to use Power Query to parse these to a 2-column table  with Product  and one Tags

TV, speaker,

TV, screen,

1. aerial

TV, remote

Radio, aerial

Radio, speaker

Radio, LCD display

Then just user a standard filer with the search option turned on.

See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/import-modeling-data-reduction

This will not increase storage; it will actually reduce storage and improve performance because Power BI uses a columnar rather than a tabular database. Power  BI will process millions of rows with just 2 short columns much faster than searching for a string in long text. It is a concept that novices struggle to understand.

I am an unpaid volunteer help, please show your thanks by clicking thumbs up and accepts as solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
speedramps
Super User
Super User

You can do it by downloading a Text search slicer. Learn how here

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/databrotherssro1596013704866.dbi_text...

However, I suspect each of your records has comma delimited tags?

For example, with a Product name the and Tags

TV, speaker, screen, aerial, remote

Radio, aerial, speaker, LCD display

Phone, aerial, speaker, screen

It is best practice to use Power Query to parse these to a 2-column table  with Product  and one Tags

TV, speaker,

TV, screen,

1. aerial

TV, remote

Radio, aerial

Radio, speaker

Radio, LCD display

Then just user a standard filer with the search option turned on.

See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/import-modeling-data-reduction

This will not increase storage; it will actually reduce storage and improve performance because Power BI uses a columnar rather than a tabular database. Power  BI will process millions of rows with just 2 short columns much faster than searching for a string in long text. It is a concept that novices struggle to understand.

I am an unpaid volunteer help, please show your thanks by clicking thumbs up and accepts as solution.

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Please try the visual called "Text Filter".

vstephenmsft_0-1675928449275.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.