Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

westerdaled
Frequent Visitor

How to apply a calculation to sum of value in a Matrix control based on the grouping category

As part of a dashboard design , I have imported 2 Excel tables into Power BI desktop from the same worksheet

I have replicated the pivot tables for each Excel table using a Matrix visual. Each Matrix conists of 3 colums, Category, Accounting Period of Sum of Value. Expanding the Category, I can see for each quarter, the relevant sum value.  Now the hard bit, If I want use the Category to apply a weighting to each sum, then this seems imposible say trying to with a Measure:  I cannot use say the SWITCH command on the Category, as it won't understand the context, in the model. Is there anyway around this.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@westerdaled Hard to be sure without sample data to mock up but you should be able to apply the Category as a weight by just using MAX('Table'[Category]) and applying the appropriate weight. See if this gives you some ideas.

Matrix Measure Total Triple Threat Rock & Roll - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for getting back to me . Unfortunately, I don't have access to the this Report; I am assisting the staff who do. That said, I should be able to mock up the Excel Table used in the transformation import.

I can clarify what format cagegory is in: essentially, it is "AA-BB-CC" or "AAAA-BB-CC" . The calculation applied to the Sum of Value is determi ed by the first set of characters before the delimiter. I think the MAX('Table'[Category]) only works with a numeric value.  

@Greg_Deckler 

I have been looking through your code sample and I think you do have an interesting approach as regards the weighting, which I will try:

IF( MAX(Table[Category)="AA-BB-CC", [SumOfTotal) * x, If(( MAX(Table[Category])="AA-BB-DD"[SumOfTotal) * x)))

I am still trying to get my head around Max() with alphanumeric argument😕

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.