Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

emma313823
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to add a specific subtotal in a matrix

Hi

I have a matrix table which I'm trying to find a way to sub-total 4 out of 5 territories.  What is displayed in the screenshot is a principal or company and my team needs to see Metro, Mid, PA and UNY as a grand total and NE needs to be by itself.  Is there a way I can successfully achieve this through formatting the visual?

emma313823_0-1714594309211.png

Thanks 

Emma

Emma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 you should add new group column, better to add in PQ but with DAX you can do something like this:

New Group = 
IF ( Table[Column] IN { "Metro", "Mid", "PA", "UNY" }, "ITC South", "Other" )

In the matrix visual, on rows, add this new group column and under it add territory column and that will do it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 I said add a new column, preference is to add in the Power Query (PQ) but I gave you the solution on how to add a column using DAX. You don't need to add a group, just add a new column, give it a name, I called "New Group", you can call it whatever, and then use the DAX expression I gave in my original reply. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@emma313823 you should add new group column, better to add in PQ but with DAX you can do something like this:

New Group = 
IF ( Table[Column] IN { "Metro", "Mid", "PA", "UNY" }, "ITC South", "Other" )

In the matrix visual, on rows, add this new group column and under it add territory column and that will do it.

I'm sorry could you clarify PQ please?  I tried adding new group...see screenshot.

emma313823_0-1714595204661.png

With the dialogue box opened, I renamed to ITC South, selected the Principal of ITT Cannon Connector, but am at a loss as to what to do next?

emma313823_1-1714595281881.png

Emma

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.