Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NightKnight

How to add a manual data point onto a scatter plot of data within PowerBI

Hello!

So I have a scatter plot and I am looking for a way to show/hightlight on the below curve where a value would fall, using a manual input form within power BI.

I've looked into two directions so far - setting up parameter sliders and PowerApps. The parameter sliders seem to work best for the data - as far as getting the actual data onto the page, but I'm not sure how to get it onto the chart.

I've heard that PowerApps can work but seems kind of clunky/finicky for what I am using it for - literally just want to say "$50" and a dot pop up on my curve at the $50 point to show where it would land.

Anyone have any experience with this? Doesn't seem like an out-of-the-box feature but also isn't insanely difficult so I'm hoping that someone has been here before.

NightKnight_0-1713900125897.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @NightKnight 

You can create parameters in Power BI to allow users to manually enter values. This parameter can represent the value to be highlighted on the scatter plot. For detailed steps to create parameters, please refer to the documentation:

Use parameters to visualize variables - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Create Parameter in Power BI - Zebra BI

Use parameters to create a measure that calculates the position of the input values on the scatter plot. For example, if you want to highlight sales, you can adjust it based on the input parameters to show where $50 is on the sales curve.

Add this measure to the scatter plot as a new data point or series. This will allow the plot to dynamically update based on the parameter input and highlight the location.

While you mentioned that PowerApps feels a bit clunky in this regard, it does provide a way to integrate user input directly into Power BI reports. You can create a simple PowerApp that accepts user input and then uses that input to filter or highlight data in a Power BI report. Steps on how to add Power Apps visuals to your report:

Embed a new Power App in a Power BI Report. - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @NightKnight 

You can create parameters in Power BI to allow users to manually enter values. This parameter can represent the value to be highlighted on the scatter plot. For detailed steps to create parameters, please refer to the documentation:

Use parameters to visualize variables - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Create Parameter in Power BI - Zebra BI

Use parameters to create a measure that calculates the position of the input values on the scatter plot. For example, if you want to highlight sales, you can adjust it based on the input parameters to show where $50 is on the sales curve.

Add this measure to the scatter plot as a new data point or series. This will allow the plot to dynamically update based on the parameter input and highlight the location.

While you mentioned that PowerApps feels a bit clunky in this regard, it does provide a way to integrate user input directly into Power BI reports. You can create a simple PowerApp that accepts user input and then uses that input to filter or highlight data in a Power BI report. Steps on how to add Power Apps visuals to your report:

Embed a new Power App in a Power BI Report. - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.