Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Netrelemo
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to FIND the source of 'DataFormat.Error: Invalid cell value '#NAME?'.'

I have a couple of hundred workbooks I am interrogating with a PowerQuery. There s a problem in the source data, because one of the sheets n one of the workbooks has a '#NAME?' problem in a cell. 

I want to find it so I can go fix it. 

I suspect a numeric column is the culprit

• Change it to datatype Text and try filter. Doesn't work - same error. 
  • Change it to whole number and try replace the error. Doesn't work - same error. 
  • Change it to datatype Text and look for "#NAME?"  Doesn't work - same error. 
  • Refresh the query and try quickly click on the "2 errors" in the sidebar window - the error message pop blocks me from getting there. 

My table is a couple of thousand line items long.... and the previw is only 30 lines at a time. 

Suggestions? 

5 REPLIES 5
Netrelemo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Well, I've managed to solve my problem from a different angle. 

Use Python. 

A short script of 20 odd lines pulls 45,000 rows of data in less than 1 minute, and no frustrating "I can't do this" from PowerQuery on an Excel source. 

Netrelemo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks for that .... functionality I did not know of. 

Column profiling on entire dataset - yep

Column quality- there are no errors anywhere. Some Empty areas, sure, but nothing as an Error. 

But there are errors ... it's just that Power Query cannot pick them up. 

Now if I look at the data quality later in the list of APPLIED steps, then I run into this. 

Netrelemo_0-1693969826273.png

@Netrelemo 
They appear on some steps, you just need to go over all the steps that are recorded and wait until the step updates itself (a few seconds).

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Well, maybe in your ideal world, but not here. 

a) Your document advice "Handling errors at the cell level" is talking about cells in the Power Query results .. .not cells in the source data. You're not understanding the problem. 

b) I can wait a full hour (the query takes 5 minutes to complete). All processe seem complete. Nothing  magically appears. The quality analysis says there are 0% errors. Zero. But the query will not load data because there is a CELL ERROR in the underlying Excel document.

Power Query seems to have some fundamental weakness here. 

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @Netrelemo 
You can apply those steps :

1. From the view tab check on the option "Column quality"

Ritaf1983_0-1693968087014.png

2. If you have more than 1000 rows, you can test all of them if you change the default option:

Just click on the bottom left inscription and choose "column profiling based on all data set"

Ritaf1983_1-1693968370835.png

3. On hovering the mouse cursor on the place of statistics of quality m select the option of keep errors:

Ritaf1983_2-1693968547253.png

In this way you will stay with your problematic rows and their details :

Ritaf1983_3-1693968616793.png

You can also refer to the Microsoft documentation about the issue :
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dealing-with-errors

from the part :

Handling errors at the cell level

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.