Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

meehael
Helper II
Helper II

How to Change Live Dataset and Overwrite the Existing Report

Hi everyone,

I have a report which is connected live to a Power BI dataset.

I've made a copy of that dataset in another workspace and would now like to switch the live connection from the first dataset to the new dataset.

I've downloaded the report from the Power BI online web service, opened it in Power BI Desktop and changed the dataset like this:

meehael_0-1600260361499.png

After selecting the new dataset, I've clicked on "Create":

meehael_2-1600260583919.png

However, after saving and publishing the report to the same workspace the report is already in, a new report with the same name is created (I don't get the "Do you want to overwrite?" warning).

I would like to overwrite the existing one, so that I preserve the report ID and URL.

Is that possible, please?

I have the latest (August 2020) version on Power BI Desktop.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In the end, I've managed to solve this issue by using Power BI API function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/rebindreportingroup

Thanks and best regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@meehael , What you have highlighted is the different workspaces.  That is possible.

Am I seeing it wrong?

@amitchandak currently, both, the dataset and the report are in the "CRM Reporting" workspace.

A few days ago, I've created a copy of the dataset in "EMEA Shared Data Sources" workspace.

Now, I would like to change the live connection of the report in the "CRM Reporting" to the dataset in the "EMEA Shared Data Sources", and overwrite the existing report in the "CRM Reporting" workspace, but I can't. After I publish the updated report, a new copy of the report with the same name is created.

Thanks

Hi @meehael ,

You may  download the pbix file from the report page in Power BI Service, then open in Power BI Desktop to make some desired changes. Then republish the pbix to the same workspace.

Download pbix.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xicai ,

thanks for the reply.

I tried that, but a new copy of the report is created after I publish the report, and with the same name.

I don't get the "Do you want to overwrite the existing report?" warning.

This is the state of the workspace immediately after I published the updated version of the report (but with the same name):

meehael_0-1600687047723.png

Is this a bug?

Thanks and best regards,

Mihael

In the end, I've managed to solve this issue by using Power BI API function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/rebindreportingroup

Thanks and best regards,

Mike

Hi Meehael, 
I am also facing same issue - report not overlapping when we change dataset in live connection and republish. Is any other way apart from API ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.