Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KamKam
Frequent Visitor

How to Automate Binary Extraction into Seperate Queries

Hi Power BI Community,

I have a dataset that has a column with Binary values in it. When I click on one of the binary values it opens an entirely new table. I would like to extract the data in these Binary values and make them into a new Queries.

There are quite a few rows in the orginal data so I would like to automate this.

Is there a way to do this?

I was trying to do this with M Language but I could not find a way to create a new Query using it. Is there a way to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @KamKam ,

yes, the files have to have the same format.

But if you want to automate things, they anyway have to have the same format. If every file is different you have to load one by one and then after you changed the files you can combine them again.

Does this help you?

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @KamKam ,

if you don't have to transform anything, you can load the folder and use the "Combine & Transform" option:

How to Load Data from a Folder in Power BI - insightsoftware

Would that work for you?

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thank you for the suggestion @selimovd.

Unfortunately, this only extracts the values from the first Binary row. I would like to do this for each of the Binary values.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Hey @KamKam ,

this is not true. With the combine option, a function is created that combines all files in this folder. Like this you can combine all "binary files" (like CSV) into one table.

Please give it a try.

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd,

You are right. It did pull the correct amount of rows. However, it has only made columns for the first Binary value. The other Binary values have different columns in them.

For example, this is what the first table looks like:

first_table.png

And here is the second:

2nd_table.png

Hey @KamKam ,

yes, the files have to have the same format.

But if you want to automate things, they anyway have to have the same format. If every file is different you have to load one by one and then after you changed the files you can combine them again.

Does this help you?

Best regards
Denis

Thanks @selimovd,

Do you think that I could automate this using M Lanugage? If so, do you know how to create a new Query using M Language?

Hey @KamKam ,

you can do a lot with M and the functions.

What format do your binary files have?

Best regards

Denis

Thank you @selimovd.

I ended up doing it manually.

I don't think that Power BI is the tool for ingesting the large amount of data that I was working with. When I clicked on Save & Apply in the Query Editor my machine ran out of RAM.

I will have to find a new tool for cleaning the data.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hey @KamKam,

that depends if course on the amount and complexity of your data and the power of your notebook.

But for huge or complex amounts there are just physical limitations. Check the Azure techniques like data factory or synapse for these kind of situations. They are scalable and made for more complex scenarios.

Best regards

Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.