Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

exceldoktor

How should I copy all measures in bulk from a PBIX file to a PBIX file with Power BI Dataset

Hi all,

I have a PBIX file, that is connected to a number of tables in Business Central. This contains a huge number of measures and works very well.
I would like to split this database to a PBIX file with the dataset and to several PBIX files with a connection to the dataset. These PBIX files should have a the relevant measures (and only the relevant measures) copied in to these new files from the original PBIX file (which now should act as a master).
I am aware of 2 ways to copy measures from one PBIX file to another PBIX file. 
Method 1) Open the 2 PBIX files and open Tabular Editor in two instances.
Method 2) create PBIT files from the 2 original files - Change the extension to ZIP and then go to the DataModelSchema and copy the relevant Measures and paste them into the DataModelSchema in the other ZIP file - Rename to PBIT extension again and of you go.

Method 1 Error) when opening the PBIX file with the connection to the dataset I get the errormessage: "Error connecting to database - The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorised".
When I google that answer, I get the information : "Anonymous access may need to be added to the web application or at least some subfolders within the application." Or that I should login. I do not know how to solve the first part, and I am logged in, so I need to do the first.

Method 2 Error) When I open the zipped file that was created with a connection to a Power BI Dataset the DataModelSchema does not exist as one of the zipped files.

Is anybody able to help with this issue?

best regards
Jørgen

2 REPLIES 2
exceldoktor

Yes I am aware of that functionality as well, and use that for documentation.
But as far as I know, I need to copy them individually to get them into a new model.

regards
Jørgen

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Not 100% sure it will help you, but with DAX Studio you have the possibility to export in an Excel files all calculations and their formulas.

Give you something like that 

ListMeasures.png

Hope it helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.